Bauhaus Building, Dessau

Creating a New World: The Bauhaus at 100

Images from the RIBA Collections of the Bauhaus builidings in Weimar and Dessau

Towards the end of First World War, a group of radical architects under Walter Gropius were pursuing plans for a socially conscious architecture which would play a part in the political revolution then occurring in Germany. With the establishment of a republic in November 1918 and the convening of the new assembly at Weimar, Gropius demanded the support of the newly formed state for their work. The Bauhaus was the first product of this government patronage.

Weimar already had an art academy (Kunstschule) and a school of arts and crafts (Kunstgewerbeschule) designed by the Belgian architect Henry van de Velde from 1904-1911. He was also the director there from 1907-1914 where he had advocated a closer alliance between artists and industry. During the First World War the schools were closed but in 1915 van de Velde put forward Walter Gropius (who had similar aims) as his successor. Negotiations took place and Gropius pressed his case for a school that fostered collaboration between art and industry yet avant-garde in its aims to produce a new style for a new society.

On 1 April 1919 Walter Gropius was appointed as director of the Academy of Fine Arts (Kunstschule) and the School of Applied Arts (Kunstgewerbeschule). On 12 April he merged the two institutions under the new name Bauhaus from ‘Bauhutte’ a stonemason’s lodge, making an analogy to the cathedral workshop where the craftsmen would learn their skills. Hence the image on the opening brochure was a woodcut of a Medieval cathedral which expressed the school’s collaborative approach.

From Weimar to Dessau

Initially the school was arts and crafts based, but from 1919-1925 Gropius attempted to forge much stronger links between design and industry. To this end in 1923 an Art and Technology exhibition was held which emphasised the shift to industrial design, partly influenced by ideas on standardisation and mass production, later encapsulated in Henry Ford’s autobiography, which became a bestseller in Germany in 1924. At Weimer the political climate was also changing, and the school had become unpopular. Dessau was an attractive option because larger population (some 70,000) and unlike Weimar, it was politically more liberal. But significantly it lay at the centre of a coal mining area and important industries, notably the Junkers aircraft and engineering factory and 25% of German chemical production.

Bauhaus building at Dessau

Designed by Walter Gropius building began in the summer of 1925 and was completed by October 1926. The construction was experimental, using a reinforced concrete skeleton, with floors made of hollow tiles resting on beams. It had flat roof covered with a waterproof skin, which later proved inadequate. Considerably larger than the Weimar buildings, it comprised a teaching and workshop area, theatre, canteen and gymnasium with twenty-eight studio flats for students above which was a roof garden. The outstanding visual features were a vast glass curtain wall on the workshop side and an enclosed two-storey bridge spanning a road in which the administrative and Gropius’s office, and later the Department of Architecture, were housed.

The interior was fitted out by Bauhaus students and bristled with special features, the kitchens had a serving hatch with a food lift to every floor of the student flats including the roof garden. The stage was separated from the canteen and main hall, by folding screens but these could be operated so that the stage, canteen and hall could be combined into a theatre, with the audience seated on both sides of the stage.

Feature by Suzanne Waters

1 3 4 5 6 ... 3126
103151 items
RIBA64332Berkeley Library, Trinity College, Dublin: students relaxing on the raked concrete benches by the east front entrance

 
RIBA64334Berkeley Library, Trinity College, Dublin: the entrance hall

 
RIBA84028Plan of Nottingham Castle


RIBA12953Plan of Nottingham Castle

 
RIBA84030View of Nottingham Castle with gabled houses and a church at the bottom of the hill

 
RIBA84031View of the north face of Nottingham Castle: elevation


RIBA3116-39"Experiments in Living" exhibition, Maples store, London: "Expando-Space", an expanding adaptable space

 
RIBA28004"Experiments in Living" exhibition, Maples store, London: multi-purpose foam block put to various uses

 
RIBA4684"Experiments in Living" exhibition, Maples store, London: over-bed cloud forms


RIBA4682"Experiments in Living" exhibition, Maples store, London: sketch annotated "Type of building for Expandospace Exhibition"

 
RIBA4683"Experiments in Living" exhibition, Maples store, London: sketch of room plan for Expandospace Exhibition

 
RIBA59992"Seco" prefabs


RIBA3455-59"Seco" temporary bungalow

 
RIBA59991"Seco" temporary bungalows, McLeod Road, Woolwich, London

 
RIBA42359(Former) Bedford Park Stores, Bath Road, Bedford Park, Turnham Green, London


RIBA34719[C] Space - DRL 10 Pavilion, Bedford Square, Bloomsbury, London

 
RIBA34720[C] Space - DRL 10 Pavilion, Bedford Square, Bloomsbury, London

 
RIBA105569’Devil’s Elbow’, Skyline Drive, Prospect Ridge, Nassau, for Mr & Mrs A. R. McDonald


RIBA13515202 Arena (Millenium Dome), North Greenwich, London, at dawn

 
RIBA13515102 Arena (Millenium Dome), North Greenwich, London, just before dawn

 
RIBA607081 & 2 Laurence Pountney Hill, City of London


RIBA607091 & 2 Laurence Pountney Hill, City of London

 
RIBA800331 & 3 Wells Rise, St John's Wood, London

 
RIBA692521 and 2 Coach and Horses Yard, Savile Row, Westminster, London


RIBA60351 Bedford Square, Bloomsbury, London

 
RIBA156561 Bedford Square, Bloomsbury, London: the entrance hall

 
RIBA1019831 Boulevard Charles V, Nancy


RIBA279821 Bridge Street, The Cross, Chester, Cheshire

 
RIBA523511 Broad Street, Stamford

 
RIBA83801 Chester Gate, Regent's Park, London: leather screen painted by Mary Adshead


RIBA83771 Chester Gate, Regent's Park, London: papier-mache tray painted by Mary Adshead

 
RIBA83791 Chester Gate, Regent's Park, London: screen painted by Mary Adshead

 
RIBA702071 Coleman Street, City of London


1 3 4 5 6 ... 3126