Bauhaus Building, Dessau

Creating a New World: The Bauhaus at 100

Images from the RIBA Collections of the Bauhaus builidings in Weimar and Dessau

Towards the end of First World War, a group of radical architects under Walter Gropius were pursuing plans for a socially conscious architecture which would play a part in the political revolution then occurring in Germany. With the establishment of a republic in November 1918 and the convening of the new assembly at Weimar, Gropius demanded the support of the newly formed state for their work. The Bauhaus was the first product of this government patronage.

Weimar already had an art academy (Kunstschule) and a school of arts and crafts (Kunstgewerbeschule) designed by the Belgian architect Henry van de Velde from 1904-1911. He was also the director there from 1907-1914 where he had advocated a closer alliance between artists and industry. During the First World War the schools were closed but in 1915 van de Velde put forward Walter Gropius (who had similar aims) as his successor. Negotiations took place and Gropius pressed his case for a school that fostered collaboration between art and industry yet avant-garde in its aims to produce a new style for a new society.

On 1 April 1919 Walter Gropius was appointed as director of the Academy of Fine Arts (Kunstschule) and the School of Applied Arts (Kunstgewerbeschule). On 12 April he merged the two institutions under the new name Bauhaus from ‘Bauhutte’ a stonemason’s lodge, making an analogy to the cathedral workshop where the craftsmen would learn their skills. Hence the image on the opening brochure was a woodcut of a Medieval cathedral which expressed the school’s collaborative approach.

From Weimar to Dessau

Initially the school was arts and crafts based, but from 1919-1925 Gropius attempted to forge much stronger links between design and industry. To this end in 1923 an Art and Technology exhibition was held which emphasised the shift to industrial design, partly influenced by ideas on standardisation and mass production, later encapsulated in Henry Ford’s autobiography, which became a bestseller in Germany in 1924. At Weimer the political climate was also changing, and the school had become unpopular. Dessau was an attractive option because larger population (some 70,000) and unlike Weimar, it was politically more liberal. But significantly it lay at the centre of a coal mining area and important industries, notably the Junkers aircraft and engineering factory and 25% of German chemical production.

Bauhaus building at Dessau

Designed by Walter Gropius building began in the summer of 1925 and was completed by October 1926. The construction was experimental, using a reinforced concrete skeleton, with floors made of hollow tiles resting on beams. It had flat roof covered with a waterproof skin, which later proved inadequate. Considerably larger than the Weimar buildings, it comprised a teaching and workshop area, theatre, canteen and gymnasium with twenty-eight studio flats for students above which was a roof garden. The outstanding visual features were a vast glass curtain wall on the workshop side and an enclosed two-storey bridge spanning a road in which the administrative and Gropius’s office, and later the Department of Architecture, were housed.

The interior was fitted out by Bauhaus students and bristled with special features, the kitchens had a serving hatch with a food lift to every floor of the student flats including the roof garden. The stage was separated from the canteen and main hall, by folding screens but these could be operated so that the stage, canteen and hall could be combined into a theatre, with the audience seated on both sides of the stage.

Feature by Suzanne Waters

33 items
RIBA92971School of Arts and Crafts, Weimar: the Art School (Kunstschule) building

 
RIBA92972School of Arts and Crafts, Weimar: the Art School (Kunstschule) building

 
RIBA92973School of Arts and Crafts, Weimar: the Art School (Kunstschule) building


RIBA2135-16Bauhaus, Dessau: students' hostel

 
RIBA4862Bauhaus, Dessau: detail of the balconies on the student accommodation block

 
RIBA4864Bauhaus, Dessau: detail of fenestration


RIBA92862Bauhaus building, Dessau: detail of the Bauhaus sign

 
RIBA92864Bauhaus building, Dessau: the main hall

 
RIBA92866Bauhaus building, Dessau: detail of door handles


RIBA92867Bauhaus building, Dessau: detail of the curtain wall, above the main entrance

 
RIBA92869Bauhaus building, Dessau: detail of the balconies in the student accommodation block

 
RIBA92940Bauhaus building, Dessau: the workshop wing


RIBA92942Bauhaus building, Dessau

 
RIBA92943Bauhaus building, Dessau: facade detail, workshop wing

 
RIBA92947Bauhaus building, Dessau: corner detail of the curtain walling on the workshop wing


RIBA92949Bauhaus building, Dessau: the undercroft of the link bridge administration block

 
RIBA92950Bauhaus building, Dessau: the entrance to the technical school

 
RIBA92951Bauhaus building, Dessau: the whole complex with the student accommodation on the far right


RIBA92952Bauhaus building, Dessau: the student accommodation, with the lower block housing the canteen and auditorium in the foreground

 
RIBA92953Bauhaus building, Dessau: the workshop wing

 
RIBA92954Bauhaus building, Dessau: the concrete support in the workshop wing


RIBA92955Bauhaus building, Dessau: detail of a door handle

 
RIBA92956Bauhaus building, Dessau: detail of painted concrete ceiling beams

 
RIBA92957Bauhaus building, Dessau: the technical school and administration bridge block


RIBA92961Bauhaus building, Dessau

 
RIBA92962Bauhaus building, Dessau: the link bridge administration block between the two main blocks

 
RIBA92963Bauhaus building, Dessau: detail of the lettering above the main entrance


RIBA92964Bauhaus building, Dessau: the main entrance

 
RIBA92965Bauhaus building, Dessau: corner detail of the workshop wing

 
RIBA92966Bauhaus building, Dessau: the workshop wing with the student accommodation behind


RIBA114254Bauhaus building, Dessau

 
RIBA114262Bauhaus building, Dessau: looking across to the main studio building from the link bridge

 
RIBA114269Bauhaus building, Dessau