St Pancras Station

Celebrating 150 years with images from the RIBA Collections

When the 10.05 pm Leeds – St Pancras overnight mail train arrived into London at 4.20 am on 1 October 1868 it went largely unnoticed but nevertheless marked the opening of the capital’s latest but still unfinished railway terminus: St Pancras station. There was no inaugural opening ceremony for the station described by the Illustrated London News (3 October 1868) as “the largest in the world” and which was not completed until the following spring as recorded in this engraving from the Building News.

It was built by the Midland Railway (MR) to fulfil its ambitions of having its own route into London to carry increasing numbers of passengers as well as coal, iron and beer from Burton-on-Trent’s breweries. The Midland’s extension south from Bedford meant that it no longer had to pay for “running powers” to use the London and North Western Railway or Great Northern Railway’s routes into Euston or King’s Cross. This then presented an opportunity for the MR to assert its supremacy over its London-based rivals by building the most magnificent of London’s termini along with George Gilbert Scott’s Gothic Revival Midland Grand Hotel which was only fully completed in 1876.

The consulting civil engineer for the MR’s line southwards from Bedford was William Henry Barlow. Like the approach to neighbouring King’s Cross station the tracks had to cross Regent’s Canal but Barlow chose to bridge over rather than tunnel under the canal hence giving St Pancras its elevated position. This in turn provided a large basement area under the station which rather than filling in Barlow decided to exploit by supporting the station on cast iron girders and 720 columns in the form of a grid based on the dimensions of Burton brewery warehouses, i.e. the length of a beer barrel meaning that the train loads of beer could be easily stored at St Pancras.

“Built on beer” above this undercroft is the station and its magnificent, single span, slightly pointed arched train shed designed by Barlow assisted by Rowland Mason Ordish. The roof of the undercroft also serves as the cross-ties for the train shed constructed from 25 ribs dramatically springing from platform level. At 689 feet long, 240’ wide and 100’ high it was in 1868 the largest single-span building in the world.

In 1923 the MR was absorbed into the London Midland & Scottish Railway and with Euston becoming their principal London terminus for trains for the north leaning to a gradual decline of St Pancras and closure of the Midland Grand Hotel in 1935 which was converted into offices. In 1949 a concerned John Betjeman wrote, “I have no doubt that British Railways will do away with St Pancras altogether. It is too beautiful and romantic to survive. It is not of this age.” Despite threats of demolition and conversion both station and hotel survived becoming Grade 1 listed in 1967 although with no realistic solution as how best to utilize them, not least the hotel. Perhaps, ironically, the destruction of Euston station in the early 1960s helped galvanise the campaign to save St Pancras.

150 years on St Pancras, now known as St Pancras International has now been restored and transformed into Britain’s major international rail terminal for High Speed 1 to the Channel Tunnel and is a “destination station” in its own right with its future now safely assured.

Feature by Jonathan Makepeace.. 

 

1 ... 8 9 10 12 13 ... 4397
105521 items
RIBA3951Design for the Indian Bridge at Sezincote, Moreton-in-Marsh

 
RIBA3953Design for an octagonal cottage

 
RIBA3955Hungerford Market, London: perpective view of the galleries, showing a flower-seller


RIBA3957Design for the west elevation of a cathedral

 
RIBA3960Design for Rookwood Cemetery Railway Station, Sydney, Australia

 
RIBA3962Design for a country villa


RIBA3963Design for Stanley Hall, Shropshire

 
RIBA3965Design for a tower for Selfridge's department store, Oxford Street, London

 
RIBA3966Design for the saloon ceiling, Longleat House, Wiltshire, for the Marquis of Bath


RIBA3970Interior of an Egyptian temple

 
RIBA3972Designs for the redecoration of the chapel and addition of an adjoining monument room, Wynyard Park, County Durham, for the 6th Marquis of Londonderry: view of the chapel looking south-east

 
RIBA3973Design for Mason's Yard Electricity Generating Station, Duke Street, London for St. James & Pall Mall Electric Lighting Company


RIBA3974Persective of the chimney at Grove Road Power Station, Lodge Road, St John's Wood, London for the Central Electricity Supply Company

 
RIBA3975Blickling Hall, Norfolk: design for a fireplace in the library

 
RIBA3976View through an archway, Venice


RIBA3977Cathedral of Notre Dame, Reims: south portal of west front

 
RIBA3978Amphitheatre at Pola (Pula): view from the west

 
RIBA3979Competition design for the Houses of Parliament, Palace of Westminster, London, showing Westminster Hall on the left


RIBA3980Design for the Library and Scientific Institution, Wellington Street, Islington, London

 
RIBA3981Designs for Moreby Hall, North Yorkshire, for Henry Preston, Esq.: perpsective of entrance front

 
RIBA3982Design for the conservatory, Mamhead Park, Mamhead, Devon


RIBA3983Southwark Bridge, London: detail of pier and spandrels from the south-west

 
RIBA3984Design for a room in the Jacobean style, Poles, near Thundridge, Hertfordshire

 
RIBA3985Design for the Imperial Institute, South Kensington, London: detail of gable to wings, front elevation


1 ... 8 9 10 12 13 ... 4397