St Pancras Station

Celebrating 150 years with images from the RIBA Collections

When the 10.05 pm Leeds – St Pancras overnight mail train arrived into London at 4.20 am on 1 October 1868 it went largely unnoticed but nevertheless marked the opening of the capital’s latest but still unfinished railway terminus: St Pancras station. There was no inaugural opening ceremony for the station described by the Illustrated London News (3 October 1868) as “the largest in the world” and which was not completed until the following spring as recorded in this engraving from the Building News.

It was built by the Midland Railway (MR) to fulfil its ambitions of having its own route into London to carry increasing numbers of passengers as well as coal, iron and beer from Burton-on-Trent’s breweries. The Midland’s extension south from Bedford meant that it no longer had to pay for “running powers” to use the London and North Western Railway or Great Northern Railway’s routes into Euston or King’s Cross. This then presented an opportunity for the MR to assert its supremacy over its London-based rivals by building the most magnificent of London’s termini along with George Gilbert Scott’s Gothic Revival Midland Grand Hotel which was only fully completed in 1876.

The consulting civil engineer for the MR’s line southwards from Bedford was William Henry Barlow. Like the approach to neighbouring King’s Cross station the tracks had to cross Regent’s Canal but Barlow chose to bridge over rather than tunnel under the canal hence giving St Pancras its elevated position. This in turn provided a large basement area under the station which rather than filling in Barlow decided to exploit by supporting the station on cast iron girders and 720 columns in the form of a grid based on the dimensions of Burton brewery warehouses, i.e. the length of a beer barrel meaning that the train loads of beer could be easily stored at St Pancras.

“Built on beer” above this undercroft is the station and its magnificent, single span, slightly pointed arched train shed designed by Barlow assisted by Rowland Mason Ordish. The roof of the undercroft also serves as the cross-ties for the train shed constructed from 25 ribs dramatically springing from platform level. At 689 feet long, 240’ wide and 100’ high it was in 1868 the largest single-span building in the world.

In 1923 the MR was absorbed into the London Midland & Scottish Railway and with Euston becoming their principal London terminus for trains for the north leaning to a gradual decline of St Pancras and closure of the Midland Grand Hotel in 1935 which was converted into offices. In 1949 a concerned John Betjeman wrote, “I have no doubt that British Railways will do away with St Pancras altogether. It is too beautiful and romantic to survive. It is not of this age.” Despite threats of demolition and conversion both station and hotel survived becoming Grade 1 listed in 1967 although with no realistic solution as how best to utilize them, not least the hotel. Perhaps, ironically, the destruction of Euston station in the early 1960s helped galvanise the campaign to save St Pancras.

150 years on St Pancras, now known as St Pancras International has now been restored and transformed into Britain’s major international rail terminal for High Speed 1 to the Channel Tunnel and is a “destination station” in its own right with its future now safely assured.

Feature by Jonathan Makepeace.. 

 

108594 items
RIBA4019Design for the Imperial Monumental Halls and Tower, Westminster, London: viewed looking south-west

 
RIBA4021Joldwynds, Holmbury St Mary, Surrey: the entrance front

 
RIBA4022Design for Frinton Park Estate, Frinton-on-Sea, Essex


RIBA4023Design for an underground railway and bus station for London Transport, Newbury Park, Redbridge, London

 
RIBA4024Design for the British Pavilion, Exposition Internationale des Arts et des Techniques dans la Vie Moderne, Paris 1937

 
RIBA4025Design for a lounge, RMS Orion


RIBA4027Design for a Polyfoto studio

 
RIBA4028Designs for the interior decoration of 1 Grosvenor Crescent, London, for Sir Wilfrid Lawson M.P.: alternative elevation of the staircase well showing decoration

 
RIBA4030Design for the interior decoration of a cinema auditorium, probably in Newcastle-upon-Tyne


RIBA4031Design for two stained glass windows of flowers and Arabic characters for Leighton House, 12 Holland Park Road, London

 
RIBA4032Design for the elevation of a wall of the picture gallery, Leighton House, 12 Holland Park Road, London

 
RIBA4033Design for the interior decoration of the Chapel of St Joseph, Oratory of St Philip Neri, Brompton Road, Kensington, London


RIBA4034Designs for the interior decoration of 1 South Audley Street, Mayfair, London: central chimneypiece in the smoking room

 
RIBA4035Designs for the interior decoration of 52 Prince's Gate, London, for Thomas Eustace Smith, Esq.: elevation of a wall and left doorway in the boudoir

 
RIBA4037Church of the Holy Trinity, Prince Consort Road, London


RIBA4038Preliminary design for Dance Music and Chamber Music Studio, BBC Broadcasting House, Portland Place, London

 
RIBA4039Design for Fouracre, West Green, Hampshire

 
RIBA4040Design for a party invitation for the Architectural Association Rugby Club


RIBA4041Design for a metropolis

 
RIBA4042Design for 'The Tudor House' public house, Shoreham, Sussex

 
RIBA4043Design for Gillander House, Clive Buildings, Kolkata (Calcutta), viewed from the south


RIBA4044Design for a house in Kent

 
RIBA4045Design for the decoration of the statue of Eros for the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II, Piccadilly Circus, London

 
RIBA4047Design for a wallpaper or textile showing lilies