St Pancras Station

Celebrating 150 years with images from the RIBA Collections

When the 10.05 pm Leeds – St Pancras overnight mail train arrived into London at 4.20 am on 1 October 1868 it went largely unnoticed but nevertheless marked the opening of the capital’s latest but still unfinished railway terminus: St Pancras station. There was no inaugural opening ceremony for the station described by the Illustrated London News (3 October 1868) as “the largest in the world” and which was not completed until the following spring as recorded in this engraving from the Building News.

It was built by the Midland Railway (MR) to fulfil its ambitions of having its own route into London to carry increasing numbers of passengers as well as coal, iron and beer from Burton-on-Trent’s breweries. The Midland’s extension south from Bedford meant that it no longer had to pay for “running powers” to use the London and North Western Railway or Great Northern Railway’s routes into Euston or King’s Cross. This then presented an opportunity for the MR to assert its supremacy over its London-based rivals by building the most magnificent of London’s termini along with George Gilbert Scott’s Gothic Revival Midland Grand Hotel which was only fully completed in 1876.

The consulting civil engineer for the MR’s line southwards from Bedford was William Henry Barlow. Like the approach to neighbouring King’s Cross station the tracks had to cross Regent’s Canal but Barlow chose to bridge over rather than tunnel under the canal hence giving St Pancras its elevated position. This in turn provided a large basement area under the station which rather than filling in Barlow decided to exploit by supporting the station on cast iron girders and 720 columns in the form of a grid based on the dimensions of Burton brewery warehouses, i.e. the length of a beer barrel meaning that the train loads of beer could be easily stored at St Pancras.

“Built on beer” above this undercroft is the station and its magnificent, single span, slightly pointed arched train shed designed by Barlow assisted by Rowland Mason Ordish. The roof of the undercroft also serves as the cross-ties for the train shed constructed from 25 ribs dramatically springing from platform level. At 689 feet long, 240’ wide and 100’ high it was in 1868 the largest single-span building in the world.

In 1923 the MR was absorbed into the London Midland & Scottish Railway and with Euston becoming their principal London terminus for trains for the north leaning to a gradual decline of St Pancras and closure of the Midland Grand Hotel in 1935 which was converted into offices. In 1949 a concerned John Betjeman wrote, “I have no doubt that British Railways will do away with St Pancras altogether. It is too beautiful and romantic to survive. It is not of this age.” Despite threats of demolition and conversion both station and hotel survived becoming Grade 1 listed in 1967 although with no realistic solution as how best to utilize them, not least the hotel. Perhaps, ironically, the destruction of Euston station in the early 1960s helped galvanise the campaign to save St Pancras.

150 years on St Pancras, now known as St Pancras International has now been restored and transformed into Britain’s major international rail terminal for High Speed 1 to the Channel Tunnel and is a “destination station” in its own right with its future now safely assured.

Feature by Jonathan Makepeace.. 

 

108594 items
RIBA4168Housing, Stevenage, Hertfordshire

 
RIBA4169Housing at Lincoln Way, Corby New Town, Northamptonshire

 
RIBA4170Housing, Woodhead Court, Westfield, Cumbernauld New Town


RIBA4171Sir Thomas White Building, St John's College, Oxford

 
RIBA4172Castle Drogo, Drewsteignton, Devon

 
RIBA4173Hodek Apartment Building, Prague


RIBA4174Nuffield College, Oxford: the Quad

 
RIBA4175St Catherine's College, Oxford: view looking north of the inward-facing elevation of the west residential block on the left and the auditorium and library on the right

 
RIBA4176Keble College, Oxford: the gateway


RIBA4177Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford: the Wordsworth Building with Talbot Hall on the left

 
RIBA4178York Minster: the north transept with the Five Sisters Window

 
RIBA4179York Minster: the nave looking east


RIBA4183St Mary, Stratford-le-Bow, Stratford, London: reconstruction following war damage

 
RIBA4184Abbaye du Thoronet, Le Thoronet

 
RIBA4185Bridget Riley and John Weeks with Riley's murals, St Mary's Hospital, Paddington, London


RIBA4187St Antony's College, Oxford: hall and common rooms

 
RIBA4188St Antony's College, Oxford: dining hall

 
RIBA4194Palau d'Esportes Sant Jordi, Barcelona


RIBA4195Selfridges department store, Bull Ring, Birmingham: the glazed entrance

 
RIBA4196Cover of journal Tee-Square & Tape, January 1928

 
RIBA4197Southside Halls of Residence, Imperial College, Kensington, London


RIBA4199Neue Staatsgalerie, Stuttgart, Stuttgart: entry of pedestrian route ramp from entrance level into rotunda

 
RIBA4200Neue Staatsgalerie, Stuttgart, Stuttgart: detail of support of theatre arch

 
RIBA4202Department of the Environment, Marsham Street, Westminster, London