St Pancras Station

Celebrating 150 years with images from the RIBA Collections

When the 10.05 pm Leeds – St Pancras overnight mail train arrived into London at 4.20 am on 1 October 1868 it went largely unnoticed but nevertheless marked the opening of the capital’s latest but still unfinished railway terminus: St Pancras station. There was no inaugural opening ceremony for the station described by the Illustrated London News (3 October 1868) as “the largest in the world” and which was not completed until the following spring as recorded in this engraving from the Building News.

It was built by the Midland Railway (MR) to fulfil its ambitions of having its own route into London to carry increasing numbers of passengers as well as coal, iron and beer from Burton-on-Trent’s breweries. The Midland’s extension south from Bedford meant that it no longer had to pay for “running powers” to use the London and North Western Railway or Great Northern Railway’s routes into Euston or King’s Cross. This then presented an opportunity for the MR to assert its supremacy over its London-based rivals by building the most magnificent of London’s termini along with George Gilbert Scott’s Gothic Revival Midland Grand Hotel which was only fully completed in 1876.

The consulting civil engineer for the MR’s line southwards from Bedford was William Henry Barlow. Like the approach to neighbouring King’s Cross station the tracks had to cross Regent’s Canal but Barlow chose to bridge over rather than tunnel under the canal hence giving St Pancras its elevated position. This in turn provided a large basement area under the station which rather than filling in Barlow decided to exploit by supporting the station on cast iron girders and 720 columns in the form of a grid based on the dimensions of Burton brewery warehouses, i.e. the length of a beer barrel meaning that the train loads of beer could be easily stored at St Pancras.

“Built on beer” above this undercroft is the station and its magnificent, single span, slightly pointed arched train shed designed by Barlow assisted by Rowland Mason Ordish. The roof of the undercroft also serves as the cross-ties for the train shed constructed from 25 ribs dramatically springing from platform level. At 689 feet long, 240’ wide and 100’ high it was in 1868 the largest single-span building in the world.

In 1923 the MR was absorbed into the London Midland & Scottish Railway and with Euston becoming their principal London terminus for trains for the north leaning to a gradual decline of St Pancras and closure of the Midland Grand Hotel in 1935 which was converted into offices. In 1949 a concerned John Betjeman wrote, “I have no doubt that British Railways will do away with St Pancras altogether. It is too beautiful and romantic to survive. It is not of this age.” Despite threats of demolition and conversion both station and hotel survived becoming Grade 1 listed in 1967 although with no realistic solution as how best to utilize them, not least the hotel. Perhaps, ironically, the destruction of Euston station in the early 1960s helped galvanise the campaign to save St Pancras.

150 years on St Pancras, now known as St Pancras International has now been restored and transformed into Britain’s major international rail terminal for High Speed 1 to the Channel Tunnel and is a “destination station” in its own right with its future now safely assured.

Feature by Jonathan Makepeace.. 

 

105521 items
RIBA3184-44Royal Institute of British Architects, 66 Portland Place, London: the entrance hall and main staircase

 
RIBA3185-44Royal Institute of British Architects, 66 Portland Place, London: the main staircase and atrium

 
RIBA3186-44Royal Institute of British Architects, 66 Portland Place, London: the main staircase and first floor


RIBA3187-44Royal Institute of British Architects, 66 Portland Place, London: the Florence Hall

 
RIBA3188-44Royal Institute of British Architects, 66 Portland Place, London: the Jarvis Foyer

 
RIBA3189-44Royal Institute of British Architects, 66 Portland Place, London: the council chamber


RIBA3190-44Sir Basil Spence

 
RIBA3191-44Sir Basil Spence

 
RIBA3192-44Philip Charles Hardwick


RIBA3193-44Daily Express Building, 120-129 Fleet Street, City of London: elevated view from the south-west

 
RIBA3194-44Lutheran School of Theology, Chicago, Illinois

 
RIBA3195-44Great Western Bank, Hollywood, Los Angeles


RIBA3196-44Chart House Restaurant, Rancho Mirage, California

 
RIBA3197-44Pacific Design Center, Los Angeles

 
RIBA3198-44Des Moines Art Center Addition 1968, Des Moines


RIBA3199-44Des Moines Art Center Addition 1968, Des Moines

 
RIBA3200-45Des Moines Art Center Addition 1984, Des Moines

 
RIBA3201-45Glessner residence, Chicago


RIBA3202-45Schulitz residence, Beverly Hills, California

 
RIBA3203-45'The Monument' holiday house, Joshua Tree, California

 
RIBA3204-45Vancouver Public Library, Vancouver


RIBA3205-45Feature Animation Building, Walt Disney Company, Burbank, California

 
RIBA3206-45Law School, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois

 
RIBA3207-45John Deere Headquarters, Moline, Illinois