St Pancras Station

Celebrating 150 years with images from the RIBA Collections

When the 10.05 pm Leeds – St Pancras overnight mail train arrived into London at 4.20 am on 1 October 1868 it went largely unnoticed but nevertheless marked the opening of the capital’s latest but still unfinished railway terminus: St Pancras station. There was no inaugural opening ceremony for the station described by the Illustrated London News (3 October 1868) as “the largest in the world” and which was not completed until the following spring as recorded in this engraving from the Building News.

It was built by the Midland Railway (MR) to fulfil its ambitions of having its own route into London to carry increasing numbers of passengers as well as coal, iron and beer from Burton-on-Trent’s breweries. The Midland’s extension south from Bedford meant that it no longer had to pay for “running powers” to use the London and North Western Railway or Great Northern Railway’s routes into Euston or King’s Cross. This then presented an opportunity for the MR to assert its supremacy over its London-based rivals by building the most magnificent of London’s termini along with George Gilbert Scott’s Gothic Revival Midland Grand Hotel which was only fully completed in 1876.

The consulting civil engineer for the MR’s line southwards from Bedford was William Henry Barlow. Like the approach to neighbouring King’s Cross station the tracks had to cross Regent’s Canal but Barlow chose to bridge over rather than tunnel under the canal hence giving St Pancras its elevated position. This in turn provided a large basement area under the station which rather than filling in Barlow decided to exploit by supporting the station on cast iron girders and 720 columns in the form of a grid based on the dimensions of Burton brewery warehouses, i.e. the length of a beer barrel meaning that the train loads of beer could be easily stored at St Pancras.

“Built on beer” above this undercroft is the station and its magnificent, single span, slightly pointed arched train shed designed by Barlow assisted by Rowland Mason Ordish. The roof of the undercroft also serves as the cross-ties for the train shed constructed from 25 ribs dramatically springing from platform level. At 689 feet long, 240’ wide and 100’ high it was in 1868 the largest single-span building in the world.

In 1923 the MR was absorbed into the London Midland & Scottish Railway and with Euston becoming their principal London terminus for trains for the north leaning to a gradual decline of St Pancras and closure of the Midland Grand Hotel in 1935 which was converted into offices. In 1949 a concerned John Betjeman wrote, “I have no doubt that British Railways will do away with St Pancras altogether. It is too beautiful and romantic to survive. It is not of this age.” Despite threats of demolition and conversion both station and hotel survived becoming Grade 1 listed in 1967 although with no realistic solution as how best to utilize them, not least the hotel. Perhaps, ironically, the destruction of Euston station in the early 1960s helped galvanise the campaign to save St Pancras.

150 years on St Pancras, now known as St Pancras International has now been restored and transformed into Britain’s major international rail terminal for High Speed 1 to the Channel Tunnel and is a “destination station” in its own right with its future now safely assured.

Feature by Jonathan Makepeace.. 

 

107512 items
RIBA125750Model of preliminary study for the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama, Glasgow

 
RIBA125751Model of preliminary study for the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama, Glasgow

 
RIBA125752Model of preliminary study for the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama, Glasgow


RIBA125753Model of preliminary study for the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama, Glasgow

 
RIBA125754Model of preliminary study for the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama, Glasgow

 
RIBA125755Model of preliminary study for the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama, Glasgow


RIBA125756Model of a house at Oxshott 'A' (no. 2)

 
RIBA125757Model of a house at Oxshott 'A' (no. 2)

 
RIBA125758Model of a house at Oxshott 'A' (no. 2)


RIBA125759Model of a house at Oxshott 'A' (no. 2)

 
RIBA125760Model of a house at Oxshott 'A' (no. 2)

 
RIBA125761Model of a house at Oxshott 'A' (no. 2)


RIBA125762Model of a house at Oxshott 'A' (no. 2)

 
RIBA125763'The By-pass in the Town': panel 17 from 'Traffic' exhibition

 
RIBA125764Brancepeth Castle, County Durham: ceiling detail


RIBA125765Designs for Tilehurst, 10 Grange Road, Bushey, for Miss Edith Somers: site plan

 
RIBA125766Designs for Tilehurst, 10 Grange Road, Bushey, for Miss Edith Somers: ground floor plan

 
RIBA125767Designs for Tilehurst, 10 Grange Road, Bushey, for Miss Edith Somers: first floor plan and plan of roof of coal cellar


RIBA125768Designs for Tilehurst, 10 Grange Road, Bushey, for Miss Edith Somers: west (street) elevation with a section through the tradesmen's entrance

 
RIBA125769Designs for Tilehurst, 10 Grange Road, Bushey, for Miss Edith Somers: east (garden) elevation; north elevation including the bathroom dormer window; plans, elevation and details of the built-in dresser for the kitchen

 
RIBA125770Designs for Tilehurst, 10 Grange Road, Bushey, for Miss Edith Somers: sections


RIBA125771Preliminary design for Myholme, convalescent home for children, 170 Merryhill Road, Bushey, for Miss Edith Somers: plans and elevations

 
RIBA125772Sketch of a Burmese tigress

 
RIBA125773Sketch of a heron in Richmond