St Pancras Station

Celebrating 150 years with images from the RIBA Collections

When the 10.05 pm Leeds – St Pancras overnight mail train arrived into London at 4.20 am on 1 October 1868 it went largely unnoticed but nevertheless marked the opening of the capital’s latest but still unfinished railway terminus: St Pancras station. There was no inaugural opening ceremony for the station described by the Illustrated London News (3 October 1868) as “the largest in the world” and which was not completed until the following spring as recorded in this engraving from the Building News.

It was built by the Midland Railway (MR) to fulfil its ambitions of having its own route into London to carry increasing numbers of passengers as well as coal, iron and beer from Burton-on-Trent’s breweries. The Midland’s extension south from Bedford meant that it no longer had to pay for “running powers” to use the London and North Western Railway or Great Northern Railway’s routes into Euston or King’s Cross. This then presented an opportunity for the MR to assert its supremacy over its London-based rivals by building the most magnificent of London’s termini along with George Gilbert Scott’s Gothic Revival Midland Grand Hotel which was only fully completed in 1876.

The consulting civil engineer for the MR’s line southwards from Bedford was William Henry Barlow. Like the approach to neighbouring King’s Cross station the tracks had to cross Regent’s Canal but Barlow chose to bridge over rather than tunnel under the canal hence giving St Pancras its elevated position. This in turn provided a large basement area under the station which rather than filling in Barlow decided to exploit by supporting the station on cast iron girders and 720 columns in the form of a grid based on the dimensions of Burton brewery warehouses, i.e. the length of a beer barrel meaning that the train loads of beer could be easily stored at St Pancras.

“Built on beer” above this undercroft is the station and its magnificent, single span, slightly pointed arched train shed designed by Barlow assisted by Rowland Mason Ordish. The roof of the undercroft also serves as the cross-ties for the train shed constructed from 25 ribs dramatically springing from platform level. At 689 feet long, 240’ wide and 100’ high it was in 1868 the largest single-span building in the world.

In 1923 the MR was absorbed into the London Midland & Scottish Railway and with Euston becoming their principal London terminus for trains for the north leaning to a gradual decline of St Pancras and closure of the Midland Grand Hotel in 1935 which was converted into offices. In 1949 a concerned John Betjeman wrote, “I have no doubt that British Railways will do away with St Pancras altogether. It is too beautiful and romantic to survive. It is not of this age.” Despite threats of demolition and conversion both station and hotel survived becoming Grade 1 listed in 1967 although with no realistic solution as how best to utilize them, not least the hotel. Perhaps, ironically, the destruction of Euston station in the early 1960s helped galvanise the campaign to save St Pancras.

150 years on St Pancras, now known as St Pancras International has now been restored and transformed into Britain’s major international rail terminal for High Speed 1 to the Channel Tunnel and is a “destination station” in its own right with its future now safely assured.

Feature by Jonathan Makepeace.. 

 

108584 items
RIBA125025Model of Wilton House, Wilton

 
RIBA125026Model of Wilton House, Wilton

 
RIBA125027Model of Wilton House, Wilton


RIBA125028Model of Wilton House, Wilton

 
RIBA125029Model of the Millennium Dome, Greenwich, London

 
RIBA125030Model of the Millennium Dome, Greenwich, London


RIBA125031Model of the Millennium Dome, Greenwich, London

 
RIBA125032Model of the Millennium Dome, Greenwich, London

 
RIBA125033Model of the Millennium Dome, Greenwich, London


RIBA125034Model of the Millennium Dome, Greenwich, London

 
RIBA125035Model of the Millennium Dome, Greenwich, London

 
RIBA125036Hellman cartoon in the Architects' Journal for 2 August 1971 in an article about psychology and architectural determinism discussing the roles of sociology and psychology in architecture


RIBA125037Hellman cartoon in the' Q is for qualifications' chapter discussing architectural education and the conflict between practitioners who feel students graduate knowing little of the real world of practice and the schools who think they are there to foster imagination and creativity

 
RIBA125038Post-competition, pre-contract drawing of the Hotel du Departement des Bouches-du-Rhone, Marseille: cross section

 
RIBA125039Festival of Britain, South Bank, London: topographical view of the exhibition site


RIBA125040Unexecuted designs for a cloister for monuments, Westminster Abbey, London: transverse section

 
RIBA125041Unexecuted designs for a cloister for monuments, Westminster Abbey, London: perspective from the north-east showing the cloister of 22 bays along Abingdon Street with a return of four bays linked to the chapter house

 
RIBA125043Model for an unexecuted design for office building, Plough Way, South Dock, Rotherhithe, London


RIBA125044Model for an unexecuted design for office building, Plough Way, South Dock, Rotherhithe, London

 
RIBA125045Model for an unexecuted design for office building, Plough Way, South Dock, Rotherhithe, London

 
RIBA125046Model for an unexecuted design for office building, Plough Way, South Dock, Rotherhithe, London


RIBA125047Model for an unexecuted design for office building, Plough Way, South Dock, Rotherhithe, London

 
RIBA125048Planning Your Neighbourhood exhibition panel: panel 4

 
RIBA125049Planning Your Neighbourhood exhibition panel: panel 6