St Pancras Station

Celebrating 150 years with images from the RIBA Collections

When the 10.05 pm Leeds – St Pancras overnight mail train arrived into London at 4.20 am on 1 October 1868 it went largely unnoticed but nevertheless marked the opening of the capital’s latest but still unfinished railway terminus: St Pancras station. There was no inaugural opening ceremony for the station described by the Illustrated London News (3 October 1868) as “the largest in the world” and which was not completed until the following spring as recorded in this engraving from the Building News.

It was built by the Midland Railway (MR) to fulfil its ambitions of having its own route into London to carry increasing numbers of passengers as well as coal, iron and beer from Burton-on-Trent’s breweries. The Midland’s extension south from Bedford meant that it no longer had to pay for “running powers” to use the London and North Western Railway or Great Northern Railway’s routes into Euston or King’s Cross. This then presented an opportunity for the MR to assert its supremacy over its London-based rivals by building the most magnificent of London’s termini along with George Gilbert Scott’s Gothic Revival Midland Grand Hotel which was only fully completed in 1876.

The consulting civil engineer for the MR’s line southwards from Bedford was William Henry Barlow. Like the approach to neighbouring King’s Cross station the tracks had to cross Regent’s Canal but Barlow chose to bridge over rather than tunnel under the canal hence giving St Pancras its elevated position. This in turn provided a large basement area under the station which rather than filling in Barlow decided to exploit by supporting the station on cast iron girders and 720 columns in the form of a grid based on the dimensions of Burton brewery warehouses, i.e. the length of a beer barrel meaning that the train loads of beer could be easily stored at St Pancras.

“Built on beer” above this undercroft is the station and its magnificent, single span, slightly pointed arched train shed designed by Barlow assisted by Rowland Mason Ordish. The roof of the undercroft also serves as the cross-ties for the train shed constructed from 25 ribs dramatically springing from platform level. At 689 feet long, 240’ wide and 100’ high it was in 1868 the largest single-span building in the world.

In 1923 the MR was absorbed into the London Midland & Scottish Railway and with Euston becoming their principal London terminus for trains for the north leaning to a gradual decline of St Pancras and closure of the Midland Grand Hotel in 1935 which was converted into offices. In 1949 a concerned John Betjeman wrote, “I have no doubt that British Railways will do away with St Pancras altogether. It is too beautiful and romantic to survive. It is not of this age.” Despite threats of demolition and conversion both station and hotel survived becoming Grade 1 listed in 1967 although with no realistic solution as how best to utilize them, not least the hotel. Perhaps, ironically, the destruction of Euston station in the early 1960s helped galvanise the campaign to save St Pancras.

150 years on St Pancras, now known as St Pancras International has now been restored and transformed into Britain’s major international rail terminal for High Speed 1 to the Channel Tunnel and is a “destination station” in its own right with its future now safely assured.

Feature by Jonathan Makepeace.. 

 

107512 items
RIBA125918Hellman cartoon in the Architects' Journal for 5 September 1984 on how the architect and his profession is viewed.

 
RIBA125919St Saviour's Church, Coalpit Heath, Gloucestershire: south elevation with outline plans of details

 
RIBA125920Rapid sketches of peasants and a more detailed figure of a seated peasant with colour notes


RIBA125921Arch of Claudius, Rome

 
RIBA125922Pantheon, Piazza della Rotonda, Rome

 
RIBA125923Ponte Rotto (Pons Aemilius), Rome


RIBA125924Design for a wallpaper showing 'four & twenty blackbirds baked in a pie'

 
RIBA125925Design for the new entrance to the Fine Arts Society, 148 New Bond Street, London: part-plans of ground and first floors and elevation

 
RIBA125926Competition designs for the Assize Courts, Bristol (design A): front elevation after a competition drawing of 1866


RIBA125927Competition designs for the Assize Courts, Bristol (design B): front elevation to Small Steet

 
RIBA125928Competition designs for the Assize Courts, Bristol (design C): front elevation to Small Street

 
RIBA125929Competition designs for the Assize Courts, Bristol (design C): section


RIBA125930Competition designs for the Assize Courts, Bristol (design C): front elevation

 
RIBA125931Competition designs for the Assize Courts, Bristol (design C): sketch elevation

 
RIBA125932Competition design for the Royal Institute of British Architects, 66 Portland Place, London: plans, elevation and section


RIBA125933Design for housing estate of tower blocks: perspective

 
RIBA125934Preliminary designs for the School of Education (il Magistero), University of Urbino, Urbino: plan of the lecture theatre, studies of the terraces, a circular temple-like structure, a wall with towers and figure studies

 
RIBA125935View showing house, conservatory and new wing with observatory in parkland setting, Orwell Park, Nacton, near Ipswich, for George Tomline: perspective


RIBA125936Competition design for new police headquarters, Marylebone Road, London, for New Scotland Yard: elevation

 
RIBA125937Presentation drawing for Westville Road Primary School, Hammersmith, London: perspective

 
RIBA125938Competition design for the Queen Victoria Memorial, The Mall, Westminster, London: bird's-eye perspective looking from Buckingham Palace down The Mall


RIBA125939Design for 54 & 55 Piccadilly, Westminster, London: perspective

 
RIBA125940Design for Cranbourne House, Westminster, London: perspective

 
RIBA125941Three half-elevations of fireplaces (above); elevation of a fireplace with detail of moulding and to the left of it a profile view with a steep chimney cowl