St Pancras Station

Celebrating 150 years with images from the RIBA Collections

When the 10.05 pm Leeds – St Pancras overnight mail train arrived into London at 4.20 am on 1 October 1868 it went largely unnoticed but nevertheless marked the opening of the capital’s latest but still unfinished railway terminus: St Pancras station. There was no inaugural opening ceremony for the station described by the Illustrated London News (3 October 1868) as “the largest in the world” and which was not completed until the following spring as recorded in this engraving from the Building News.

It was built by the Midland Railway (MR) to fulfil its ambitions of having its own route into London to carry increasing numbers of passengers as well as coal, iron and beer from Burton-on-Trent’s breweries. The Midland’s extension south from Bedford meant that it no longer had to pay for “running powers” to use the London and North Western Railway or Great Northern Railway’s routes into Euston or King’s Cross. This then presented an opportunity for the MR to assert its supremacy over its London-based rivals by building the most magnificent of London’s termini along with George Gilbert Scott’s Gothic Revival Midland Grand Hotel which was only fully completed in 1876.

The consulting civil engineer for the MR’s line southwards from Bedford was William Henry Barlow. Like the approach to neighbouring King’s Cross station the tracks had to cross Regent’s Canal but Barlow chose to bridge over rather than tunnel under the canal hence giving St Pancras its elevated position. This in turn provided a large basement area under the station which rather than filling in Barlow decided to exploit by supporting the station on cast iron girders and 720 columns in the form of a grid based on the dimensions of Burton brewery warehouses, i.e. the length of a beer barrel meaning that the train loads of beer could be easily stored at St Pancras.

“Built on beer” above this undercroft is the station and its magnificent, single span, slightly pointed arched train shed designed by Barlow assisted by Rowland Mason Ordish. The roof of the undercroft also serves as the cross-ties for the train shed constructed from 25 ribs dramatically springing from platform level. At 689 feet long, 240’ wide and 100’ high it was in 1868 the largest single-span building in the world.

In 1923 the MR was absorbed into the London Midland & Scottish Railway and with Euston becoming their principal London terminus for trains for the north leaning to a gradual decline of St Pancras and closure of the Midland Grand Hotel in 1935 which was converted into offices. In 1949 a concerned John Betjeman wrote, “I have no doubt that British Railways will do away with St Pancras altogether. It is too beautiful and romantic to survive. It is not of this age.” Despite threats of demolition and conversion both station and hotel survived becoming Grade 1 listed in 1967 although with no realistic solution as how best to utilize them, not least the hotel. Perhaps, ironically, the destruction of Euston station in the early 1960s helped galvanise the campaign to save St Pancras.

150 years on St Pancras, now known as St Pancras International has now been restored and transformed into Britain’s major international rail terminal for High Speed 1 to the Channel Tunnel and is a “destination station” in its own right with its future now safely assured.

Feature by Jonathan Makepeace.. 

 

107512 items
RIBA125966Designs for alterations and additions to Betteshanger House and gardens, Kent, for Sir Walter Charles James: design for terracing behind retaining walls and a sundial in a parterre

 
RIBA125967Designs for alterations and additions to Betteshanger House and gardens, Kent, for Sir Walter Charles James: design for terrace and parterre

 
RIBA125968Designs for alterations and additions to Betteshanger House and gardens, Kent, for Sir Walter Charles James: plan and elevations of terraces and retaining walls


RIBA125969Preliminary designs for parterres, Condover Hall, Shropshire, for Reginald Cholmondley: plan

 
RIBA125970Preliminary designs for parterres, Condover Hall, Shropshire, for Reginald Cholmondley: plan

 
RIBA125971Preliminary design for the expansion of Coombe Warren I, Kingston-upon-Thames, London, for Bertram Wodehouse Currie: elevation of the garden wall


RIBA125972Designs and working drawings for garden terraces, gateway, garden pavilion, lodges and Bay House of Coombe Warren II, Kingston-upon-Thames, London, for Bertram Wodehouse Currie: elevation of a garden pavilion

 
RIBA125973Designs and working drawings for garden terraces, gateway, garden pavilion, lodges and Bay House of Coombe Warren II, Kingston-upon-Thames, London, for Bertram Wodehouse Currie: plan of house, new terraces and walls, elevation of steps and urn

 
RIBA125974Design for garden walls, potting sheds, greenhouses and alterations to dairy, Coombe Warren II, Kingston-upon-Thames, London, for Laurence Currie: site plan


RIBA125975Preliminary designs for the porch and garden, 18 Carlton House Terrace, Westminster, London, for the 2nd Lord Granville: perspective of the garden

 
RIBA125976Design for alterations and additions to Gravetye Manor, West Hoathly, West Sussex, for William Robinson: general plan

 
RIBA125977Designs for a new mansion and for two cottages, Goldings, Hertford, Hertfordshire, for Robert Smith: plan of the great parterre and elevation of one of its enclosing walls


RIBA125978Design for a house, Whittington (now Wittington), Medmenham, Buckinghamshire, for Sir Hudson Ewbanke Kearley, Bt: plan and perspective of the garden front

 
RIBA125979Designs the replanning of approaches and the formal garden, Penshurst Place, Penshurst, Kent, for Sir Philip Sidney, 2nd Baron De L'Isle and Dudley: perspective of the house and garden

 
RIBA125980Designs the replanning of approaches and the formal garden, Penshurst Place, Penshurst, Kent, for Sir Philip Sidney, 2nd Baron De L'Isle and Dudley: sketches of garden steps and finials to garden piers


RIBA125981Designs the replanning of approaches and the formal garden, Penshurst Place, Penshurst, Kent, for Sir Philip Sidney, 2nd Baron De L'Isle and Dudley: aerial perspective showing a fantasy view of Penshurst Place and gardens in the mid-18th century

 
RIBA125982Designs for Wretham Hall, Wretham, Norfolk, for Saxon Noble Esq.: plan and elevations

 
RIBA125983Design for the gardens at Mellerstain House, near Kelso, Roxburghshire, for Col. Lord Binning: aerial perspective


RIBA125984Unexecuted designs for a country house on the Hudson River, New York State, for Mr E. H. Harriman: plan of site showing layout of garden

 
RIBA125985Unexecuted designs for a country house on the Hudson River, New York State, for Mr E. H. Harriman: ground floor plan with central block around courtyard and two symmetrical projecting wings

 
RIBA125986Unexecuted designs for a country house on the Hudson River, New York State, for Mr E. H. Harriman: first floor plan


RIBA125987Unexecuted designs for a country house on the Hudson River, New York State, for Mr E. H. Harriman: entrance elevation in a Renaissance palazzo style

 
RIBA125988Unexecuted designs for a country house on the Hudson River, New York State, for Mr E. H. Harriman: two elevations and perspective sketch

 
RIBA125989Unexecuted designs for a country house on the Hudson River, New York State, for Mr E. H. Harriman: perspective sketch of entrance front