St Pancras Station

Celebrating 150 years with images from the RIBA Collections

When the 10.05 pm Leeds – St Pancras overnight mail train arrived into London at 4.20 am on 1 October 1868 it went largely unnoticed but nevertheless marked the opening of the capital’s latest but still unfinished railway terminus: St Pancras station. There was no inaugural opening ceremony for the station described by the Illustrated London News (3 October 1868) as “the largest in the world” and which was not completed until the following spring as recorded in this engraving from the Building News.

It was built by the Midland Railway (MR) to fulfil its ambitions of having its own route into London to carry increasing numbers of passengers as well as coal, iron and beer from Burton-on-Trent’s breweries. The Midland’s extension south from Bedford meant that it no longer had to pay for “running powers” to use the London and North Western Railway or Great Northern Railway’s routes into Euston or King’s Cross. This then presented an opportunity for the MR to assert its supremacy over its London-based rivals by building the most magnificent of London’s termini along with George Gilbert Scott’s Gothic Revival Midland Grand Hotel which was only fully completed in 1876.

The consulting civil engineer for the MR’s line southwards from Bedford was William Henry Barlow. Like the approach to neighbouring King’s Cross station the tracks had to cross Regent’s Canal but Barlow chose to bridge over rather than tunnel under the canal hence giving St Pancras its elevated position. This in turn provided a large basement area under the station which rather than filling in Barlow decided to exploit by supporting the station on cast iron girders and 720 columns in the form of a grid based on the dimensions of Burton brewery warehouses, i.e. the length of a beer barrel meaning that the train loads of beer could be easily stored at St Pancras.

“Built on beer” above this undercroft is the station and its magnificent, single span, slightly pointed arched train shed designed by Barlow assisted by Rowland Mason Ordish. The roof of the undercroft also serves as the cross-ties for the train shed constructed from 25 ribs dramatically springing from platform level. At 689 feet long, 240’ wide and 100’ high it was in 1868 the largest single-span building in the world.

In 1923 the MR was absorbed into the London Midland & Scottish Railway and with Euston becoming their principal London terminus for trains for the north leaning to a gradual decline of St Pancras and closure of the Midland Grand Hotel in 1935 which was converted into offices. In 1949 a concerned John Betjeman wrote, “I have no doubt that British Railways will do away with St Pancras altogether. It is too beautiful and romantic to survive. It is not of this age.” Despite threats of demolition and conversion both station and hotel survived becoming Grade 1 listed in 1967 although with no realistic solution as how best to utilize them, not least the hotel. Perhaps, ironically, the destruction of Euston station in the early 1960s helped galvanise the campaign to save St Pancras.

150 years on St Pancras, now known as St Pancras International has now been restored and transformed into Britain’s major international rail terminal for High Speed 1 to the Channel Tunnel and is a “destination station” in its own right with its future now safely assured.

Feature by Jonathan Makepeace.. 

 

108584 items
RIBA125243Palazzo del sigr Babilano Pallavicino (Palazzo Pallavicino), piazza Fossatello 2, Genoa: elevation of the principal facade

 
RIBA125244Palazzo del sigr Battista Centurione (Palazzo Gio Battista Centurione or Palazzo Centurione Cambiaso), piazza Fossatello 1, Genoa: elevation of the principal facade

 
RIBA125245Chiesa di S Ciro de gli Padri Teatini (Chiesa di San Siro), via San Siro, Genoa: elevation of facade


RIBA125246Chiesa dei Santi Ambrogio e Andrea (or Chiesa del Gesu), piazza Matteotti, Genoa: elevation

 
RIBA125247Chiesa dei Santi Ambrogio e Andrea (or Chiesa del Gesu), piazza Matteotti, Genoa: section through the nave showing the high altar

 
RIBA125248Half-elevation of door (left); three-quarter elevation of door (right)


RIBA125249Elevations on to street and on to courtyard, with plan, of the entrance gateway with drawbridge of a town house

 
RIBA125250Section through the entrance gateway with drawbridge of a town house

 
RIBA125251Half-elevations of entrance doorways: (left) entrance flanked by rusticated piers, elaborate consoles with bosses supporting the cornice, heavy keystones and voussoirs; (right) smaller, rusticated entrance with triangular broken pediment


RIBA125252(left) Half-elevation of a doorway with a semi-circular pediment; (centre) elevation of part of a single-storey facade with a balustrade above, two half-windows and decoration in the intervening bay; (right) half-elevation of an arched entrance with steps leading up over a basement grille

 
RIBA125253(left) Half-elevation of part of a single-storey facade, or screen, with square opening above a basement oeil-de-boeuf; (centre) half-elevation of a square entrance, tablets and pediment above; (right) entrance doorway over a basement entrance, approached by flights of stairs either side

 
RIBA125254Design for GPO telephone kiosk number 1: plans, elevations and sections


RIBA125255Design for GPO telephone kiosk: front and side elevations of appartus assembly for kiosks number 1 and number 2

 
RIBA125256Design for GPO telephone kiosk number 2: full size details

 
RIBA125257Unexecuted design for a studio home for the Hon. Richard Hare and his wife, the sculptor Dora Gordine, at Merton Lane, Highgate, London: north-east view


RIBA125258Design, as executed, for Shiraz Airport, Shiraz

 
RIBA125259Preliminary design, not as built, for Abadan International Airport, Abadan: airside perspective

 
RIBA125260Design for Abadan International Airport, Abadan: landside perspective


RIBA125261Fountain of St George exhibited at the 1862 International Exhibition: sketch design for one of the four tazzas, a part of the central feature (preliminary design)

 
RIBA125262Fountain of St George exhibited at the 1862 International Exhibition: sketch design (final design)

 
RIBA125263Joseph Sturge Memorial, Five Ways, Birmingham: plaster version of final design


RIBA125264Design for a rusticated gateway with a large tablet above and details of various elements drawn in the openng

 
RIBA125265Design for an entrance pavilion with alternatives

 
RIBA125266(left) Half-elevation of an arched entrance flanked by Composite pilaster and surmounted by tablet between console and urn; (right) half-elevation of arched entrance with vermiculated voussoirs and heavy broken pediment