St Pancras Station

Celebrating 150 years with images from the RIBA Collections

When the 10.05 pm Leeds – St Pancras overnight mail train arrived into London at 4.20 am on 1 October 1868 it went largely unnoticed but nevertheless marked the opening of the capital’s latest but still unfinished railway terminus: St Pancras station. There was no inaugural opening ceremony for the station described by the Illustrated London News (3 October 1868) as “the largest in the world” and which was not completed until the following spring as recorded in this engraving from the Building News.

It was built by the Midland Railway (MR) to fulfil its ambitions of having its own route into London to carry increasing numbers of passengers as well as coal, iron and beer from Burton-on-Trent’s breweries. The Midland’s extension south from Bedford meant that it no longer had to pay for “running powers” to use the London and North Western Railway or Great Northern Railway’s routes into Euston or King’s Cross. This then presented an opportunity for the MR to assert its supremacy over its London-based rivals by building the most magnificent of London’s termini along with George Gilbert Scott’s Gothic Revival Midland Grand Hotel which was only fully completed in 1876.

The consulting civil engineer for the MR’s line southwards from Bedford was William Henry Barlow. Like the approach to neighbouring King’s Cross station the tracks had to cross Regent’s Canal but Barlow chose to bridge over rather than tunnel under the canal hence giving St Pancras its elevated position. This in turn provided a large basement area under the station which rather than filling in Barlow decided to exploit by supporting the station on cast iron girders and 720 columns in the form of a grid based on the dimensions of Burton brewery warehouses, i.e. the length of a beer barrel meaning that the train loads of beer could be easily stored at St Pancras.

“Built on beer” above this undercroft is the station and its magnificent, single span, slightly pointed arched train shed designed by Barlow assisted by Rowland Mason Ordish. The roof of the undercroft also serves as the cross-ties for the train shed constructed from 25 ribs dramatically springing from platform level. At 689 feet long, 240’ wide and 100’ high it was in 1868 the largest single-span building in the world.

In 1923 the MR was absorbed into the London Midland & Scottish Railway and with Euston becoming their principal London terminus for trains for the north leaning to a gradual decline of St Pancras and closure of the Midland Grand Hotel in 1935 which was converted into offices. In 1949 a concerned John Betjeman wrote, “I have no doubt that British Railways will do away with St Pancras altogether. It is too beautiful and romantic to survive. It is not of this age.” Despite threats of demolition and conversion both station and hotel survived becoming Grade 1 listed in 1967 although with no realistic solution as how best to utilize them, not least the hotel. Perhaps, ironically, the destruction of Euston station in the early 1960s helped galvanise the campaign to save St Pancras.

150 years on St Pancras, now known as St Pancras International has now been restored and transformed into Britain’s major international rail terminal for High Speed 1 to the Channel Tunnel and is a “destination station” in its own right with its future now safely assured.

Feature by Jonathan Makepeace.. 

 

108684 items
RIBA125643Design for the Palazzo Porto Festa, Vicenza: facade

 
RIBA125644Alternative designs for the Palazzo Porto Festa, Vicenza: alternative elevations for the facade of the ground floor; sketch plans

 
RIBA125645Design for a loggia


RIBA125646Design for the Palazzo Civena, Vicenza: facade and plan

 
RIBA125647Design for a villa: facade and plan

 
RIBA125648Colonnade plan for a villa


RIBA125649Design for a villa: facade and plan

 
RIBA125650Design for the Villa Pisani, Bagnolo: facade and plan

 
RIBA125651Design for the Villa Pisani, Bagnolo: plan


RIBA125652Design for a Tempietto tabernacle: elevation and plan

 
RIBA125653Design for the Palazzo da Monte, Vicenza: elevation

 
RIBA125654Design for a barn at Andrea Palladio's Villa Thiene, Cicogna da Villafranco Padovano: elevation


RIBA125655Lines of perspective

 
RIBA125656Design for a small villa: facade

 
RIBA125657Design for the Basilica, Vicenza: project for the elevation of the logge


RIBA125658Design for a palace or villa: facade

 
RIBA125659Design for a villa: side elevation

 
RIBA125660Design for the Palazzo Antonini, Udine: half facade


RIBA125661Design for the Palazzo da Monte, Vicenza: facade

 
RIBA125662Design for the Villa Gazzotti-Marcello, Bertesina: facade and plan

 
RIBA125663Measured drawing of the Monastery of the Carita, Venice: elevation of the courtyard


RIBA125664(left) Half-elevation of a square-headed entrance above a single step, a female figure in profile above a large curved console, broken triangular pediment with standing figure with shield and spear; (right) half-elevation of a square-headed entrance above two steps (possibly intended as a variant of the previous design), double Doric pilasters with niche between, broken triangular pediment with standing cupid, above and set back is a curved pedim

 
RIBA125665(left) Elevation of part of an entrance screen with half-elevation of square-headed entrance with semi-circular element over, half-elevation of plain arched opening and, below, a rusticated dormer window; (right) half-elevation of an arched entrance with giant keystone, rusticated Doric columns, balustrade above, and, below, a part-plan

 
RIBA125666(left) Half-elevation of an arched entrance with rusticated piers and narrow facetted voussoirs and broken triangular pediment; (right) half-elevation of an entrance and profile of the same at right