St Pancras Station

Celebrating 150 years with images from the RIBA Collections

When the 10.05 pm Leeds – St Pancras overnight mail train arrived into London at 4.20 am on 1 October 1868 it went largely unnoticed but nevertheless marked the opening of the capital’s latest but still unfinished railway terminus: St Pancras station. There was no inaugural opening ceremony for the station described by the Illustrated London News (3 October 1868) as “the largest in the world” and which was not completed until the following spring as recorded in this engraving from the Building News.

It was built by the Midland Railway (MR) to fulfil its ambitions of having its own route into London to carry increasing numbers of passengers as well as coal, iron and beer from Burton-on-Trent’s breweries. The Midland’s extension south from Bedford meant that it no longer had to pay for “running powers” to use the London and North Western Railway or Great Northern Railway’s routes into Euston or King’s Cross. This then presented an opportunity for the MR to assert its supremacy over its London-based rivals by building the most magnificent of London’s termini along with George Gilbert Scott’s Gothic Revival Midland Grand Hotel which was only fully completed in 1876.

The consulting civil engineer for the MR’s line southwards from Bedford was William Henry Barlow. Like the approach to neighbouring King’s Cross station the tracks had to cross Regent’s Canal but Barlow chose to bridge over rather than tunnel under the canal hence giving St Pancras its elevated position. This in turn provided a large basement area under the station which rather than filling in Barlow decided to exploit by supporting the station on cast iron girders and 720 columns in the form of a grid based on the dimensions of Burton brewery warehouses, i.e. the length of a beer barrel meaning that the train loads of beer could be easily stored at St Pancras.

“Built on beer” above this undercroft is the station and its magnificent, single span, slightly pointed arched train shed designed by Barlow assisted by Rowland Mason Ordish. The roof of the undercroft also serves as the cross-ties for the train shed constructed from 25 ribs dramatically springing from platform level. At 689 feet long, 240’ wide and 100’ high it was in 1868 the largest single-span building in the world.

In 1923 the MR was absorbed into the London Midland & Scottish Railway and with Euston becoming their principal London terminus for trains for the north leaning to a gradual decline of St Pancras and closure of the Midland Grand Hotel in 1935 which was converted into offices. In 1949 a concerned John Betjeman wrote, “I have no doubt that British Railways will do away with St Pancras altogether. It is too beautiful and romantic to survive. It is not of this age.” Despite threats of demolition and conversion both station and hotel survived becoming Grade 1 listed in 1967 although with no realistic solution as how best to utilize them, not least the hotel. Perhaps, ironically, the destruction of Euston station in the early 1960s helped galvanise the campaign to save St Pancras.

150 years on St Pancras, now known as St Pancras International has now been restored and transformed into Britain’s major international rail terminal for High Speed 1 to the Channel Tunnel and is a “destination station” in its own right with its future now safely assured.

Feature by Jonathan Makepeace.. 

 

108584 items
RIBA125699Design model for the Fitzwilliam Chapel, Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge

 
RIBA125700Design model for the Fitzwilliam Chapel, Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge

 
RIBA125701Design model for the Fitzwilliam Chapel, Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge


RIBA125702Design model for the Fitzwilliam Chapel, Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge

 
RIBA125703Design model for Cardiff Bay Visitors' Centre, Cardiff

 
RIBA125704Design model for Cardiff Bay Visitors' Centre, Cardiff


RIBA125705Design model for Cardiff Bay Visitors' Centre, Cardiff

 
RIBA125706Design model for Cardiff Bay Visitors' Centre, Cardiff

 
RIBA125707Design model for Cardiff Bay Visitors' Centre, Cardiff


RIBA125708Sketch for a door knocker to be executed in bronze - already partly modelled

 
RIBA125709Cathedral in Halle: grille in the Baptistery Chapel

 
RIBA125710Design for an oak staircase for a hall: elevation, plan and section details


RIBA125711Design for a carved church screen: elevation with sections and details

 
RIBA125712Competition design for a new church, Heigham, Norwich: perspective

 
RIBA125713Design for a drinking fountain, Bridgetown, Barbados, for John Montefiore: elevation


RIBA125714Design for a tabernacle door, St Peter-in-Chains Roman Catholic Church, Prince's Street, Doncaster

 
RIBA125715Design for a chancel

 
RIBA125716Design for Glanfield Lawrence car showroom and garage, North Circular Road, Finchley, London: perspective


RIBA125717Survey drawings of Sudbury Hall, Derbyshire, for the 6th Baron Vernon: ground floor plan

 
RIBA125718Survey drawings of Sudbury Hall, Derbyshire, for the 6th Baron Vernon: mezzanine over ground floor plan

 
RIBA125719Survey drawings of Sudbury Hall, Derbyshire, for the 6th Baron Vernon: bedroom floor plan


RIBA125720Survey drawings of Sudbury Hall, Derbyshire, for the 6th Baron Vernon: mezzanine over first floor plan

 
RIBA125721Survey drawings of Sudbury Hall, Derbyshire, for the 6th Baron Vernon: elevation of the entrance front

 
RIBA125722Dunn & Co shop on the ground floor of the headquarters of the British Medical Association (now Zimbabwe House), 429 Strand, London: perspective