St Pancras Station

Celebrating 150 years with images from the RIBA Collections

When the 10.05 pm Leeds – St Pancras overnight mail train arrived into London at 4.20 am on 1 October 1868 it went largely unnoticed but nevertheless marked the opening of the capital’s latest but still unfinished railway terminus: St Pancras station. There was no inaugural opening ceremony for the station described by the Illustrated London News (3 October 1868) as “the largest in the world” and which was not completed until the following spring as recorded in this engraving from the Building News.

It was built by the Midland Railway (MR) to fulfil its ambitions of having its own route into London to carry increasing numbers of passengers as well as coal, iron and beer from Burton-on-Trent’s breweries. The Midland’s extension south from Bedford meant that it no longer had to pay for “running powers” to use the London and North Western Railway or Great Northern Railway’s routes into Euston or King’s Cross. This then presented an opportunity for the MR to assert its supremacy over its London-based rivals by building the most magnificent of London’s termini along with George Gilbert Scott’s Gothic Revival Midland Grand Hotel which was only fully completed in 1876.

The consulting civil engineer for the MR’s line southwards from Bedford was William Henry Barlow. Like the approach to neighbouring King’s Cross station the tracks had to cross Regent’s Canal but Barlow chose to bridge over rather than tunnel under the canal hence giving St Pancras its elevated position. This in turn provided a large basement area under the station which rather than filling in Barlow decided to exploit by supporting the station on cast iron girders and 720 columns in the form of a grid based on the dimensions of Burton brewery warehouses, i.e. the length of a beer barrel meaning that the train loads of beer could be easily stored at St Pancras.

“Built on beer” above this undercroft is the station and its magnificent, single span, slightly pointed arched train shed designed by Barlow assisted by Rowland Mason Ordish. The roof of the undercroft also serves as the cross-ties for the train shed constructed from 25 ribs dramatically springing from platform level. At 689 feet long, 240’ wide and 100’ high it was in 1868 the largest single-span building in the world.

In 1923 the MR was absorbed into the London Midland & Scottish Railway and with Euston becoming their principal London terminus for trains for the north leaning to a gradual decline of St Pancras and closure of the Midland Grand Hotel in 1935 which was converted into offices. In 1949 a concerned John Betjeman wrote, “I have no doubt that British Railways will do away with St Pancras altogether. It is too beautiful and romantic to survive. It is not of this age.” Despite threats of demolition and conversion both station and hotel survived becoming Grade 1 listed in 1967 although with no realistic solution as how best to utilize them, not least the hotel. Perhaps, ironically, the destruction of Euston station in the early 1960s helped galvanise the campaign to save St Pancras.

150 years on St Pancras, now known as St Pancras International has now been restored and transformed into Britain’s major international rail terminal for High Speed 1 to the Channel Tunnel and is a “destination station” in its own right with its future now safely assured.

Feature by Jonathan Makepeace.. 

 

108600 items
RIBA125996Designs for the interior remodelling and decorating of 10 Carlton House Terrace, St James's, London, for Matthew White Ridley, 2nd Viscount Ridley: sections looking east and north of the secondary stair

 
RIBA125997Designs for the interior remodelling and decorating of 10 Carlton House Terrace, St James's, London, for Matthew White Ridley, 2nd Viscount Ridley: plans of the secondary stair

 
RIBA125998Designs for the interior remodelling and decorating of 10 Carlton House Terrace, St James's, London, for Matthew White Ridley, 2nd Viscount Ridley: plan of the marble paving in the hall


RIBA125999Designs for the interior remodelling and decorating of 10 Carlton House Terrace, St James's, London, for Matthew White Ridley, 2nd Viscount Ridley: elevations of the departure of the main stair

 
RIBA126000Designs for the interior remodelling and decorating of 10 Carlton House Terrace, St James's, London, for Matthew White Ridley, 2nd Viscount Ridley: newel post of main staircase

 
RIBA126001Designs for the interior remodelling and decorating of 10 Carlton House Terrace, St James's, London, for Matthew White Ridley, 2nd Viscount Ridley: longitudinal section


RIBA126002Designs for the Orangery, Hestercombe House, near Taunton, Devon, for the the Hon. E. W. B. Portman: plan, elevations and section

 
RIBA126003Designs for the Orangery, Hestercombe House, near Taunton, Devon, for the the Hon. E. W. B. Portman: plan and elevations of the four faces of the orangery and of the panelling layout inside the orangery

 
RIBA126004Sketch design for a cemetery or war memorial, incorporating the Great War Cross and the Great War Stone (or Stone of Remembrance)


RIBA126005Designs for Westminster College, Harcourt Hill, Oxford: site plan from the south

 
RIBA126006Designs for Westminster College, Harcourt Hill, Oxford: roof details of chapel

 
RIBA126007Designs for Westminster College, Harcourt Hill, Oxford: elevation and details of oak entrance gates


RIBA126008Designs for Westminster College, Harcourt Hill, Oxford: full-size sections through spire moulding

 
RIBA126009Designs for Westminster College, Harcourt Hill, Oxford: unidentified entrance with the College motto 'Virtute et Fide' (Through Virtue and Faith) above the door

 
RIBA126010Designs for Westminster College, Harcourt Hill, Oxford: details of chapel belfry and spire


RIBA126011Designs for Westminster College, Harcourt Hill, Oxford: design for stone commemorating the transfer of the College from London to Oxford

 
RIBA126012Designs for a house, Elstree Hill, Bromley, London, for Dr Fritz Saxl and Dr Gertrud Bing: plans, elevations and sections

 
RIBA126013Designs for Warburg Institute Library, Thames House, Millbank, London: plan


RIBA126014Designs for Warburg Institute Library, Thames House, Millbank, London: plan, elevations, section and detail for a lantern stand

 
RIBA126015Designs for Warburg Institute Library, Thames House, Millbank, London: plan with layout notes

 
RIBA126016Designs for garden ornaments: sketch design for pedestal and flower vase made in majolica and terracotta


RIBA126017Designs for garden ornaments: sketch design for pedestal and flower vase made in majolica and terracotta

 
RIBA126018Designs for 'Land's End' (now 'Carrygate'), a house, Gaulby, Leicestershire, for C. R. Keene, Esq.: ground floor and site plan

 
RIBA126019Designs for 'Land's End' (now 'Carrygate'), a house, Gaulby, Leicestershire, for C. R. Keene, Esq.: revised design for layout of the garden