Skip to navigation Skip to content

Bank of Ireland (former Irish Parliament House), College Green, Dublin: the east front Corinthian portico on Westmoreland Street

RIBApix ref no RIBA11651
Architect/DesignerGandon, James (1742-1823)
Johnston, Francis (1760-1829)
Pearce, Sir Edward Lovett (c. 1699-1733)
Artist/PhotographerSmith, Edwin (1912-1971)
CountryIreland
CityDublin
Subject Date1803
Image Date1965
ViewExterior
StyleNeoclassical
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceESP/IRE/137 (ES2784.7)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The old Parliament Building was designed by Pearce and built in 1729-1739. The east and west porticos were added by Gandon in 1785-1797 and the south curving screen walls by Johnston in 1803 when the building was converted into a bank.

Subject tags

government buildings, banks, conversion of buildings, columns, porticos