Rievaulx Abbey, North Yorkshire: the nave of the church
|RIBApix ref no
|Artist/Photographer||Bedford, Francis (1816-1894)|
|Colour / B&W
||Black and white
The first church for this large Cistercian monastery, founded by St Bernard of Clairvaux in 1132, was built between 1135 and 1145. The monastic buildings were extended in 1145-1167 and the chancel was rebuilt in a more elaborate style in c.1230. The abbey was dissolved in 1538.
churches, arches, ruins, abbeys