A) Central portion of north facade, the Alcazar, Toledo; B) Patio, the Casa Polentina, Avila: elevations

RIBApix ref no RIBA100951
Architect/DesignerCovarrubias, Alonso de (1488-1570)
CountrySpain
Subject Date1553
Image Date1975
ViewExterior
StyleRenaissance
MediumPhotoprint
Library Reference72.03//FLE
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes SOURCE: J. C. Palmes (ed.). Sir Banister Fletcher's A History of architecture, 18th ed. (London: Athlone Press, 1975), p. 961 NOTES: The Alcazar, Toledo (c. 1537-1553) was remodelled by Alonso de Covarrubias for Charles V. Although largely destroyed in the Civil War of 1936-1939, it was subsequently rebuilt. The Casa Polentina was built c. 1550. Shown here is the two storey arcade around the courtyard or patio.

Subject tags

courtyards, palaces, arcades