A wood bollard at the beginning of the Oxford Canal at Hawkesbury Junction, Warwickshire

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA19050
Architect/DesignerBrindley, James (1716-1772)
Simcock, Samuel (fl. 1766-1792)
Artist/Photographerde Mare, Eric (1910-2002)
CountryUK: England
CityHawkesbury
Subject Date1770
Image Date1949
ViewExterior
StyleGeorgian
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceAP250/37
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The Oxford Canal begins at Hawkesbury Junction where it meets the Coventry Canal and ends in central Oxford. Engineered by James Brindley and completed after his death by his assistant, Samuel Simmock, work on the canal began in the Coventry basin in 1769 and was completed at the Oxford end in 1790.

Subject tags

Eric de Mare: Canals, reflections, bridges, Vernacular architecture, canals, bollards