Skip to navigation Skip to content

Aachen Cathedral (Kaiserdom): the upper part and dome of the Palatine Chapel

RIBApix ref no RIBA42320
Artist/PhotographerSmith, Edwin (1912-1971)
CountryGermany
CityAachen
Image Date1964
ViewExterior
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceESP/CHAR/5 (ES2538.1)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The cathedral, also known as the Kaiserdom (Imperial Cathedral), was built by Charlemagne, the first Holy Roman Emperor, in 792-805. The Palatine Chapel, designed by Odo of Metz, holds the remains of Charlemagne (742-814) and was the site of coronations for 600 years. The gables were added in the 13th century while the dome was built after the fire of 1656.

Subject tags

Chapels, cathedrals, domes