Alexander Fleming House and the Odeon cinema, Elephant and Castle, Southwark, London

RIBApix ref no RIBA42758
Architect/DesignerGoldfinger, Erno (1902-1987)
Artist/PhotographerGalwey, Reginald Hugo de Burgh (1917-1971)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1966
Image Date1967
ViewExterior
StyleModern Movement
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceAP451/8
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Alexander Fleming House, which dominates the gyratory system at Elephant and Castle, was designed by Erno Goldfinger and completed in 1963. The Odeon cinema, also designed by Goldfinger, was completed in 1966. It closed in July 1988 and was demolished the following month to make way for a car park, which was replaced by Metro Central Heights, a residential block, in 2008.

Subject tags

office buildings, skyscrapers, concrete, town planning, cinemas