Almshouses, Ewelme, Chilterns, Oxfordshire: the courtyard with the water pump in the foreground

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA27985
Artist/PhotographerDeakin, Ralph (1888-1952)
CountryUK: England
CityEwelme
Subject Date1400
Image Date1930
ViewExterior
StyleMedieval
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceDK/UK/60 (DKN/UK/88)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Ralph Deakin / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Ae-whylme is Anglo-Saxon for 'waters whelming' and the village dreives its name from a spring which empties into a rapid stream known as Ewelme Brook. The almhouses were established in 1437 by Alice de la Pole, Duchess of Suffolk.

Subject tags

fountains, almshouses