Ambassador bowling centre, Stevenage, Hertfordshire: the seating area at the foot of the ten-pin alleys

RIBApix ref no RIBA51004
Architect/DesignerStevenage Development Corporation
Artist/PhotographerPantlin, John (1917-2003)
CountryUK: England
CityStevenage
Subject Date1963
Image Date1963
ViewInterior
StyleModern Movement
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceAP486/164 (Pantlin 5886/1)
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Stevenage was designated as England's first New Town in 1946, followed by the other London orbital developments of Basildon, Harlow, Hemel Hempstead and Bracknell. The development of the New Towns, built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London, was overseen by Lewis Silkin, 1st Baron Silkin (1888-1972), the Minister for Town and Country Planning from 1945 to 1950.

Subject tags

brickwork, town planning, new towns, sports buildings, seating, recreation buildings