Ambassador bowling centre, Stevenage, Hertfordshire: the ten-pin alleys

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA51005
Architect/DesignerStevenage Development Corporation
Artist/PhotographerPantlin, John (1917-2003)
CountryUK: England
CityStevenage
Subject Date1963
Image Date1963
ViewInterior
StyleModern Movement
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceAP486/166 (Pantlin 5886/3)
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Stevenage was designated as England's first New Town in 1946, followed by the other London orbital developments of Basildon, Harlow, Hemel Hempstead and Bracknell. The development of the New Towns, built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London, was overseen by Lewis Silkin, 1st Baron Silkin (1888-1972), the Minister for Town and Country Planning from 1945 to 1950.

Subject tags

brickwork, town planning, new towns, sports buildings, recreation buildings