Ambassador bowling centre, Stevenage, Hertfordshire

RIBApix ref no RIBA51003
Architect/DesignerStevenage Development Corporation
Artist/PhotographerPantlin, John (1917-2003)
CountryUK: England
CityStevenage
Subject Date1963
Image Date1963
ViewExterior
StyleModern Movement
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceAP486/158 (Pantlin 5886/5)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Stevenage was designated as England's first New Town in 1946, followed by the other London orbital developments of Basildon, Harlow, Hemel Hempstead and Bracknell. The development of the New Towns, built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London, was overseen by Lewis Silkin, 1st Baron Silkin (1888-1972), the Minister for Town and Country Planning from 1945 to 1950.

Subject tags

brickwork, town planning, lettering, signs (<design>), new towns, sports buildings, recreation buildings