Amorbach Abbey, Amorbach: looking west from the choir

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA114899
Architect/DesignerGattinger, Markus (1713-1753)
Gunther, Matthaus (1705-1788)
Artist/PhotographerValinsky, David
CountryGermany
CityAmorbach
Subject Date1747
Image Date2017
ViewInterior
StyleBaroque
MediumDigital image
Library ReferenceValinsky 20170831 Amorbach Abteikirche-13
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit David Valinsky / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The abbey was founded in the 8th century, but the majority of the buildings date from the 18th century when the Abteikirche was built (1742-1744), incorporating the two earlier six-storied west towers (12th century). Further extensive construction and decoration was undertaken in the 1780s, including in 1782 the installation of what was at the time the biggest organ in the world. Much of the interior decoration was carried out by members of the Wessobrunner School, a group of Baroque stucco-workers that developed in the Benedictine Wessobrunn Abbey in Bavaria during the 17th century and exerted considerable influence on the art of south Germany in the 18th century. The high altar and ceiling frescoes were painted by Matthaus Gunter between 1742-1747.

Subject tags

churches, decorative plasterwork, abbeys, screens, frescoes, church fittings