Ancient High House, Stafford

RIBApix ref no RIBA130608
Architect/DesignerFreddie & Mary Charles
Artist/PhotographerCharles, Martin (1940-2012)
CountryUK: England
CityStafford
Subject Date1595
Image Date1986
ViewExterior
StyleTudor
MediumNegative
Library ReferenceMC A 280386c
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit Martin Charles / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The Ancient High House in Stafford, was a grand timber-framed town house built for the Dorrington family in 1595. The insertion of three shops on the ground floor in 1885 damaged the sandstone plinth and undermined the structure and affected the visual coherence of the whole design. The whole building was restored in four phases from 1976-1986. See RIBA130589 for a black and white version of this image.

Subject tags

restoration, timber framing, town houses, timber construction, Feature: Martin Charles