Armenian Church of the Holy Apostles, Kars: the drum with conical roof

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA27618
Artist/PhotographerHance, Dennis
CountryTurkey
CityKars
Subject Date0925
Image Date1997
ViewExterior
Medium35mm Transparency
Library ReferenceDHT488
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit Dennis Hance / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Also known as the Cathedral of Kars, this Armenian church was converted into a mosque by the Ottoman Turks in 1579 and later served as a Russian orthodox church, the Armeninian cathedral, and was used as a warehouse from the 1930s. It housed a small museum of Kars' antiquities from 1963 until the late 1970s, then stood derelict for about two decades until its conversion into a mosque in 1998.

Subject tags

churches, mosques, arcades