Skip to navigation Skip to content

Baltic Flour Mills, Gateshead, seen from the dockside opposite on the north bank of the Tyne, Newcastle-upon-Tyne

RIBApix ref no RIBA47962
Architect/DesignerGelder & Kitchen
Artist/PhotographerToomey, Bill (1922-)
CountryUK: England
CityNewcastle-upon-Tyne
Subject Date1950
Image Date1958
ViewExterior
StyleModern Movement
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceAP Box 206 Newcastle (3)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Built for Joseph Rank Limited and completed in 1950, Baltic Flour Mills was a dual purpose factory for the production of flour and animal feed. It was designed by Gelder & Kitchen of Hull. It closed in 1982 and work to convert the old silo building, the only part of the complex remaining, into an arts centre began in 1998 to designs by William Ellis Architects. It reopened as The Baltic Centre for Contemporary Art in 2001.

Subject tags

factories, riverside buildings, boats, docks, mills