Banners for the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II adorning the War Office, Horse Guards Avenue, Whitehall, London

RIBApix ref no RIBA38672
Architect/DesignerCasson, Sir Hugh Maxwell (1910-1999)
Taylor, Sir John (1833-1912)
Young, Clyde Francis (1871-1948)
Artist/PhotographerGalwey, Reginald Hugo de Burgh (1917-1971)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1906
Image Date1953
ViewExterior
StyleClassical Revival
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceAPT Box 71 - Coronation
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES Designed in 1898 by William Young and completed in 1906 by his son, Clyde Young, this neo-Baroque style building housed the War Office from 1906 until its abolition in 1964. It has since been occupied by the Ministry of Defence. Sir Hugh Casson was the consulting architect for the Coronation decorations in 1953.

Subject tags

government buildings, coronation decorations, statues, colonnades