Baptistery of St John, Campo dei Miracoli, Pisa, with the Duomo in the background

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA74235
Architect/DesignerCellino di Nese (fl. 1334-1376)
Diotisalvi
Pisano, Giovanni (c. 1250-c. 1315)
Pisano, Nicola (c. 1220- c. 1284)
Artist/PhotographerDeakin, Ralph (1888-1952)
CountryItaly
CityPisa
Subject Date1363
Image Date1930
ViewExterior
StyleMedieval
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceFH/ECCL/36/A
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Ralph Deakin / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The Baptistery of St John,with the Duomo, forms part of the Cathedral complex. It replaced an older baptistery and was begun in Romanesque style in 1152 under Diotisalvi. The upper part underwent a Gothic transformation by Nicola Pisano and his son, Giovanni, in 1277-1297. The dome was added by Cellino di Nese in the 1300s and the building was finally completed in 1363.

Subject tags

round buildings, cathedrals, domes, religious buildings