Baptistery of St John, Duomo and Campanile (Leaning Tower), Campo dei Miracoli, Pisa: plans, elevations and sections

RIBApix ref no RIBA100848
Architect/DesignerCellino di Nese (fl. 1334-1376)
Diotisalvi
Pisano, Giovanni (c. 1250-c. 1315)
Pisano, Nicola (c. 1220- c. 1284)
Tommano Simone
CountryItaly
CityPisa
Subject Date1363
Image Date1975
ViewInterior
ViewInterior
ViewPlan
StyleRomanesque
MediumPhotoprint
Library Reference72.03//FLE
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes SOURCE: J. C. Palmes (ed.). Sir Banister Fletcher's A History of architecture, 18th ed. (London: Athlone Press, 1975), p. 470 NOTES: The Baptistery of St John, with the Duomo, forms part of the Cathedral complex. It replaced an older baptistery and was begun in Romanesque style in 1152 under Diotisalvi. The upper part underwent a Gothic transformation by Nicola Pisano and his son, Giovanni, in 1277-1297. The dome was added by Cellino di Nese in the 1300s and the building was finally completed in 1363. Construction on the detached bell tower began in 1173 under the direction of Diotisalvi. The tower began to sink and lean after completion of the third storey in 1178. Building resumed in1272 under Giovanni di Simone, architect of the Campo Santo, but was interrupted again in 1284 on reaching the seventh storey, owing to further leaning. The belfry was added by Tommano Simone in 1350.

Subject tags

belfries, bell towers, cathedrals, domes