Baptistery of St John, Duomo and Campanile (Leaning Tower), Campo dei Miracoli, Pisa, seen from the east

RIBApix ref no RIBA23276
Architect/DesignerCellino di Nese (fl. 1334-1376)
Diotisalvi
Giovanni di Simone
Pisano, Giovanni (c. 1250-c. 1315)
Pisano, Nicola (c. 1220- c. 1284)
Tommano Simone
Artist/PhotographerCresy, Edward (1792-1858)
Taylor, George Ledwell (1788-1873)
CountryItaly
CityPisa
Subject Date1363
Image Date1817
ViewExterior
StyleRomanesque
MediumPrint
Library ReferenceEW E.e.560
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes SOURCE: Edward Cresy and G. L. Taylor. Architecture of the Middle Ages in Italy (London, 1829), pl. 1 NOTES: The Cathedral, the largest Romanesque church in Italy, was built between 1063 and 1118. The adjacent Bapistery of St John replaced an older baptistery and was begun in Romanesque style in 1152 under Diotisalvi. The upper part underwent a Gothic transformation by Nicola Pisano and his son, Giovanni, in 1277-1297. The dome was added by Cellino di Nese in the 1300s and the building was finally completed in 1363.

Subject tags

round buildings, belfries, bell towers, cathedrals, marble, domes