Baptistery of St John, Duomo and campanile (Leaning Tower), Campo dei Miracoli, Pisa

RIBApix ref no RIBA50645
Architect/DesignerCellino di Nese (fl. 1334-1376)
Diotisalvi
Pisano, Giovanni (c. 1250-c. 1315)
Pisano, Nicola (c. 1220- c. 1284)
Artist/PhotographerDe Wolfe, Ivy
CountryItaly
CityPisa
Subject Date1363
Image Date1960
ViewExterior
StyleRomanesque
MediumPhotoprint
Library Reference33592/27 (IDW 4/Italy/27)
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The cathedral, the largest Romanesque church in Italy, was built between 1063 and 1118. The adjacent Baptistery of St John replaced an older baptistery and was built in 1152-1363. The detached campanile (bell tower) was built between 1173 and 1350. This image is one of many taken by Ivy de Wolfe, the pseudonym of Hazel de Cronin Hastings, of Italian subjects. Many of these appeared in the book 'The Italian Townscape' by Ivor de Wolfe (London, Architectural Press, 1963).

Subject tags

round buildings, belfries, bell towers, cathedrals, marble