Baptistery of St John, Duomo and campanile (Leaning Tower), Campo dei Miracoli, Pisa

RIBApix ref no RIBA9310
Architect/DesignerCellino di Nese (fl. 1334-1376)
Diotisalvi
Pisano, Giovanni (c. 1250-c. 1315)
Pisano, Nicola (c. 1220- c. 1284)
Artist/PhotographerCox, Bernard Hugh (1907?-1986)
CountryItaly
CityPisa
Subject Date1363
Image Date1981
ViewExterior
StyleRomanesque
Medium35mm Transparency
Library ReferenceI 550
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit Bernard Cox / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The cathedral, the largest Romanesque church in Italy, was built between 1063 and 1118. The adjacent Bapistery of St John replaced an older baptistery and was begun in Romanesque style in 1152 under Diotisalvi. The upper part underwent a Gothic transformation by Nicola Pisano and his son, Giovanni, in 1277-1297. The dome was added by Cellino di Nese in the 1300s and the building was finally completed in 1363.

Subject tags

round buildings, belfries, bell towers, cathedrals, marble