Bar on Piazza della Madonna, Loreto, Marche: view looking across the length of the square towards the Basilica della Santa Casa with the Palazzo Apostolico on the left

RIBApix ref no RIBA50665
Architect/DesignerBramante, Donato (1444-1514)
Sangallo, Antonio da, il Giovane (1484-1546)
Vanvitelli, Luigi (1700-1773)
Artist/PhotographerDe Wolfe, Ivy
CountryItaly
CityLoreto
Subject Date1961
Image Date1961
ViewTopographical
MediumPhotoprint
Library Reference33621/13 (IDW 49/1961)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The Palazzo Apostolico, designed principally by Bramante and Sangallo the Younger, houses the Museo Pinacoteca della Santa Casa. Construction on the church began in 1469 and involved many architects: the cupola was designed by Sangallo the Younger and the campanile by Luigi Vanvitelli. It was completed by the late Renaissance entrance facade in 1587. This image is one of many taken by Ivy de Wolfe, the pseudonym of Hazel de Cronin Hastings, of Italian subjects. Many of these appeared in the book 'The Italian Townscape' by Ivor de Wolfe (London, Architectural Press, 1963).

Subject tags

churches, bars, squares