Basilica di Santa Maria Assunta, Aquileia: the mosaic floors in the southern hall

RIBApix ref no RIBA114371
Architect/DesignerGTRF
Artist/PhotographerORCH Orsenigo-Chemollo
CountryItaly
CityAquileia
Subject Date1379
Image Date2012
ViewInterior
MediumDigital image
Library ReferenceORCH Orsenigo 019__MG_8315-Modifica
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit ORCH Orsenigo / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The ancient town of Aquileia is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The Basilica was originally erected by Patriarch Poppo in 1031 and rebuilt in 1379. It has fresco decoration and floor mosaics dating from the 4th-6th centuries. In 2004 the architects GTRF (Giovanni Tortelli and Roberto Frassini) won a competition for the ‘Reorganisation of the areas around the Basilica complex and the creation of a Museum for the Mosaics of the southern hall of the Baptistery’. The first phase seen here was completed in 2012.

Subject tags

cathedrals, museums, restoration, archaeological sites, mosaic floors