Basilica of San Francesco, Assisi: the upper church

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA13800
Architect/DesignerBombardone, Brother Elia
Artist/PhotographerMacpherson, Robert (1811-1872)
Subject Date1253
Image Date1855
Library ReferenceLS 20713
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The design and supervision of the construction of the Romanesque lower basilica, built between 1228 and 1230, is attributed to Frate Elia Bombardone. Construction of the upper basilica began in 1239 and was completed in 1253. The Gothic style lateral chapels were added towards the end of the 13th century.

Subject tags

belfries, bell towers, churches