Bath Royal Literary and Scientific Institute, Terrace Walk, Bath: plan and elevation

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA83054
Architect/DesignerUnderwood, George Allen (1792-1829)
Wilkins, William (1778-1839)
CountryUK: England
CityBath
Subject Date1825
Image Date1820
StyleNeoclassical
MediumPrint
Library ReferenceSC181/77
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: In 1708 the Lower Assembly Rooms were erected in Bath. They were largely destroyed by fire in December 1820, but Underwood rebuilt on the site a building for the Royal Literary and Scientific Institute which retained the portico from the previous building which had been added by Wilkins in 1809. The building was demolished in 1933.

Subject tags

societies' buildings, educational buildings