Baths of Diocletian with Santa Maria degli Angeli, Rome

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA7993
Architect/DesignerMichelangelo (1475-1564)
Vanvitelli, Luigi (1700-1773)
Artist/PhotographerPiranesi, Giovanni Battista (1720-1778)
CountryItaly
CityRome
Subject Date1774
Image Date1774
ViewTopographical
MediumPrint
Library ReferenceSB101/1(116)
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes SOURCE: Giovanni Battista Piranesi. Vedute di Roma (Rome, [1747?-1788]), pl. 116 NOTES: The Baths of Diocletian were built in 298-306; the church of Santa Maria degli Angeli occupies the central hall of those Baths. Michelangelo designed the conversion in 1563-1566 for Pius IV, but Vanvitelli altered the church in 1749.

Subject tags

churches, baths, Feature: Baths and Bath Houses