Beauvais Cathedral: the east end

RIBApix ref no RIBA27365
Architect/DesignerChambiges, Martin (c. 1460-1532)
Artist/PhotographerHance, Dennis
CountryFrance
CityBeauvais
Subject Date1548
Image Date1997
ViewExterior
StyleGothic
Medium35mm Transparency
Library ReferenceDHF396
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit Dennis Hance / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Construction on this cathedral began in 1225, but was interrupted in 1284 by the collapse of the choir vaulting, so was not completed westwards, the nave being occupied by the earlier church of c. 997. After the collapse the roof was strengthened with additional piers (1337-1447). The transept was built in 1500-1548 with facades by Martin Chambiges. A huge spire (152 metres) was added, but collapsed in 1573, partly because there was no nave to buttress it on the western side.

Subject tags

cathedrals, buttresses