Bell towers of the churches of St Clement Eastcheap, St George Botolph and St James Piccadilly, London

RIBApix ref no RIBA35281
Architect/DesignerWren, Sir Christopher (1632-1723)
Artist/PhotographerCockerell, Charles Robert (1788-1863)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1680
Image Date1830
ViewExterior
StyleBaroque
MediumDrawing
Library ReferenceSD126/14
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: This sketch is one of a number of preliminary studies of English Baroque architecture made by Charles Cockerell in preparation for his watercolour composition 'A Tribute to Sir Christopher Wren' (1838). It was formerly part of an album of drawings entitled 'Ichnographia Publica', compiled by Cockerell from 1825 as a private 'scrapbook' containing his measured drawings, notes and studies relating to the architecture of public buildings. The bracketed numbers which accompany many of the sketches refer to the numbered 'key' to the engraved version of 'A Tribute to Sir Christopher Wren'. The church of St Clement Eastcheap was completed in 1687, St George Botolph in 1676 and St James's in 1684.

Subject tags

belfries, bell towers, churches, spires