Belle Tout Lighthouse, Beachy Head, Eastbourne

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA48194
Architect/DesignerWalker, James (1781-1862)
CountryUK: England
Subject Date1834
Image Date1936
Library ReferenceAP Box 212 Seaside
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: This lighthouse was decommissioned in 1902 and sold by Trinity House in 1903. It became a tea house and then a private residence. When bought by a surgeon in 1923, a storey was added and the lantern was turned into a solarium.

Subject tags

houses, conversion of buildings, seaside architecture, granite, lighthouses, Feature: Lighting the Way