Benedictine Abbey, Vaals: the west elevation

RIBApix ref no RIBA114434
Architect/DesignerLaan, Hans van der (1904-1991)
Artist/PhotographerORCH Orsenigo-Chemollo
CountryNetherlands
CityVaals
Subject Date1986
Image Date1999
ViewExterior
MediumDigital image
Library ReferenceORCH Orsenigo 001_VDL_Vaals
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit ORCH Orsenigo / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: In 1956 Hans van der Laan was commissioned to design a church for the Benedictine Abbey at Vaals. Originally designed in 1922 by Dominicuis Bohm and Martin Weber, it was left unfinished, due to the devaluation of the German mark, and only re-established after the second world war. The crypt was finished in 1961, with the church, atrium and new reception block inaugurated in 1967. Later a library was added and the complex completed in 1986.

Subject tags

churches, abbeys