Binham Priory, Norfolk: the nave seen from the baptismal font

RIBApix ref no RIBA26758
Artist/PhotographerSmith, Edwin (1912-1971)
CountryUK: England
CityBinham
Subject Date1250
Image Date1958
ViewInterior
StyleRomanesque
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceESP/ABB/135 (ES4813)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Construction on the Benedictine priory began in c. 1104 but was not completed until c. 1250. The west facade was built between 1126 and 1244. The abbey was dissolved in 1539 and the surviving nave served as the parish church thereafter.

Subject tags

churches, arcades, fonts, monasteries & convents