Skip to navigation Skip to content

Blackness Castle on the south shore of the Firth of Forth, West Lothian

RIBApix ref no RIBA33841
Artist/PhotographerSmith, Edwin (1912-1971)
CountryUK: England
CityBlackness
Subject Date1440
Image Date1954
ViewExterior
StyleMedieval
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceESP/SCO/965 (ES681)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The original part of the castle dates from the 1440s. It was redeveloped in 1870 as a central ammunition depot with a pier out into the Forth to land ammunition from ships. After the First World War the military left the castle and it became the Office of Works for renovation.

Subject tags

stone, seaside architecture, castles