Bluecoat Chambers, School Lane, Liverpool: the main entrance

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA80732
Artist/PhotographerAshton, Paul
CountryUK: England
CityLiverpool
Subject Date1718
Image Date2012
ViewExterior
StyleClassical Revival
MediumDigital image
Library Reference0015
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit Paul Ashton / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Built in 1716-1718 as a residential charity school for poor children, this is the oldest surviving building in central Liverpool. It has been suggested that it was designed by Thomas Ripley, architect of the Liverpool Custom House, or Thomas Steers, the dock engineer, but there is no conclusive evidence that either was involved. The school relocated to new premises in 1906 and the building became home to a group of artists and sculptors in 1907 and has served as an art space ever since. The Bluecoat gallery was formally established in 1968.

Subject tags

entrances, schools, conversion of buildings, art galleries, gateways