Blyth Priory, Nottinghamshire: detail of a column capital

RIBApix ref no RIBA26816
Artist/PhotographerSmith, Edwin (1912-1971)
CountryUK: England
CityBlyth
Subject Date1088
Image Date1959
ViewInterior
StyleRomanesque
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceESP/ABB/473 (ES1173.5)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: This priory church formed part of the Benedictine monastery established here in 1088. It was dissolved in 1536, after which the east part of the church was demolished and a tower built at the west end of the nave.

Subject tags

churches, capitals, columns, vaulting, monasteries & convents