Bodleian Library, Oxford: the Council Chamber

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA52093
Architect/DesignerWorthington, Sir John Hubert (1886-1963)
Artist/PhotographerDell & Wainwright
CountryUK: England
CityOxford
Subject Date1942
Image Date1942
ViewInterior
MediumNegative
Library ReferenceDWN8290
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: This room was originally a lecture room and still known by its Latin name (Schola Astronomiae et Rhetoricae) the room became part of the Bodleian Library in 1884, being used as a 'Council Chamber' and then a meeting room for the Library's curators. In 1941-1942 the wood panels from the Lower Reading Room were added to the room. Today the room houses the Library's gift shop.

Subject tags

University buildings, libraries, seating, decorative woodwork, tables