Boxgrove Priory, West Sussex: the nave, formerly the monastic 'Quire', seen from the baptismal font

RIBApix ref no RIBA26795
Artist/PhotographerSmith, Edwin (1912-1971)
CountryUK: England
CityBoxgrove
Subject Date1100
Image Date1958
ViewInterior
StyleGothic
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceESP/ABB/329 (ES4958)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: This Benedictine priory was a monastic institution with a double church: the parish church to the west, and the monastic church, or 'Quire', to the east. The church dates from the 12th century and is a fine example of Norman and Early English architecture. It was dissolved in 1536 and thereafter served as the parish church. The foliage pattern on the vaulting was the work of 16th century Flemish painters.

Subject tags

churches, arches, vaulting, arcades, church fittings, fonts, monasteries & convents