Bredon Barn, Bredon, Worcestershire: the east wall during restoration

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA115597
Architect/DesignerCharles, Frederick. W. B. (1912-2002)
Artist/PhotographerCharles, Martin (1940-2012)
CountryUK: England
CityBredon
Subject Date1300
Image Date1982
ViewInterior
MediumNegative
Library ReferenceMC Q 130682
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Martin Charles / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The barn at Bredon is an aisled structure of nine bays, with Cotswold stone wallls and stone slate roof. It is 134 feet long and has an equal width and height of 44 feet, and a loft approached by an external stair. It was also distinguished from other great medieval barns in that it was inhabited by the Reeve (the estate overseer) and his family, so contained a fireplace, a stone lavatory and garderobe. It was badly damaged by fire in 1980. It was completely restored in 1983 by Frederick Charles, father of the photographer Martin Charles.

Subject tags

restoration, timber construction, barns